[UPDATE] GM putting hold on 3.0L Duramax for 22 year models through 2021

I was wondering if supply chain issues other than microchips were going to rear their ugly head in the automotive industry.

I'm seeing issues on the farming side right now. This years crop production is okay. It's going to be short, but we will have food. Next year???

It would be Interesting to find out what part of parts are not available due to supplier shortage. Hopefully GM gives us an update when they look to resume production.

Updated from the Article:

Update from GM representative (08/29/2021 3pm MST): “GM can confirm this is accurate due to a temporary part shortage. GM will resume production with the 3.0L Duramax diesel as soon as possible.

Last edited:
I am also interested if that increases the resale value for previous year 3.0 equipped 1500's.

I suspect they are looking into all the known issues they've had before they resume production and wouldn't surprise me if they halt production of this engine permanently. I've got about 3,000 miles on my 2021 GMC Denali and haven't experienced any issues as of yet and throughly enjoy it.
Do auto manufacturers do that still?

I read about gas burners are getting the cranknostarttimeout bug. Besides the rear main seal issue, and some oil consumption issues, it's been excellent and those have been corrected.

Both the 6.2 and 5.3 are still eating lifters.

Not saying your opinion is any more right or wrong than mine, but with the amount of money that has went into this thing, I can't believe gm would drop it. The engine doesn't seem to be a money pit for them, YET.

if it were like the diesels of the 80s that didn't work they might quit making it but this one works and well also unlikely they would roll it to the Yukon and stop before they built it. in my opinion.

Ordered my 2021 in early March. Sold my F150 in May. Now just learned from the dealer that the 21 will be built as a 22. However, just seeing this post and looks like my wait will possibly be >1year. Dang! Guess my temp vehicle (used Xterra) and uninstalled Sierra accessories may be with me longer than I thought. Will keep checking here for news. Thanks

Ordered my 2021 in early March. Sold my F150 in May. Now just learned from the dealer that the 21 will be built as a 22. However, just seeing this post and looks like my wait will possibly be >1year. Dang! Guess my temp vehicle (used Xterra) and uninstalled Sierra accessories may be with me longer than I thought. Will keep checking here for news. Thanks
My friend ordered his 21 Ltz in March also and the dealer said it was accepted the day or 2 before the lm2 shutdown release came out. This week he was just given notice that the build date is suppose to be 10/11/2021. He then confirmed it’s still a lm2 and they said yes

My friend ordered his 21 Ltz in March also and the dealer said it was accepted the day or 2 before the lm2 shutdown release came out. This week he was just given notice that the build date is suppose to be 10/11/2021. He then confirmed it’s still a lm2 and they said yes
I ordered the 21 CC AT4 with a 6 1/2' box and tech package (to get the towing mirrors) so maybe I'm also hit with the micros. Thankfully my wait is worth it - I filed a BBB complaint because I ordered a 21 and they did accept my order but then dropped and said they will build it as a 22. The result was a $1,500 rebate on top of any other rebates (unlikely?) when it arrives and the dealer agrees to honor the 21 price but they did say it may be up to 9 months more (from this August).

A bit of breaking news reported by The Fast Lane Truck tonight:

It seems this is only temporary.
UPDATE 11-20-21...
The baby max is back into production...

Still waiting for my truck ordered in March 2021. I ordered an AT4 CC black metallic with the preferred package, tech package, and multi pro tailgate . My dealer just called and said that he went ahead & modified my order changing the color to a matte black. He also suggested I resubmit an order with a gas engine and lower trim to get the truck built sooner. Reading between the lines it sounded like what I ordered might never be built!

My question is is there hope for the 3.0 diesel? Are there certain things I should take out of my build? Unfortunately I’ve already purchased some substantial truck accessories so I’m stuck with the standard 6 1/2 foot box Sierra half ton

Thanks!

Apparently the extra tech is the problem since they are supposed to have restarted building the 3.0. Heated seats and steering are being deleted from trims below the Denali. That might be hanging it up but I'm surprised yours is still waiting. Mine was ordered around the same time and it came in in late Sept.

I say hold on to your order. Ask if it's built but waiting for components. They might also be trying to get you out of it because they can charge you more for a 2022, force you to take their financing and other unwanted options. Some dealers have been jacking the prices up way above MSRP and not budging because they know they can sell it to someone more desperate. That's why I decided to get the 2021 instead of waiting for a 2022 despite the lower towing rating.

Back