Diesel odor

GreenTruck

Aug 18, 2021
Noticed that I am getting Diesel odors while stopped in traffic or idle, very strong odor like kerosene. I have 9000 miles on it. Any ideas?

See attached information on exhaust odor in engine compartment or cabin. Something to look for.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211229-100014_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-100014_Facebook.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 40
I had the same odor. The dealership replaced my def tank with all the sensors, injector and heating element replaced under warranty. That cured it.

I feel like I am also having this issue. I got my truck in December 2021, and noticed it the night I brought it home. Over the past couple of months, I feel like my cab smells of exhaust. I also notice my exhaust (while outside the truck) has a very strong smell. I took it in to be looked at and they said that they did an exhaust leak check and found no leaks. They called it good and wrote it off, but I still feel like this is an issue.

I feel like I am also having this issue. I got my truck in December 2021, and noticed it the night I brought it home. Over the past couple of months, I feel like my cab smells of exhaust. I also notice my exhaust (while outside the truck) has a very strong smell. I took it in to be looked at and they said that they did an exhaust leak check and found no leaks. They called it good and wrote it off, but I still feel like this is an issue.
Mine got to a point where the remote start wouldn’t work.
Then the check engine light came on a week later. The dealership told me that it would have gone into limp mode if I had continued to drive it.

Mine got to a point where the remote start wouldn’t work.
Then the check engine light came on a week later. The dealership told me that it would have gone into limp mode if I had continued to drive it.
Thank you for your response. I’ll keep an eye on it for now. The last place I want to go into limp mode is in rural Montana, that’s for sure.

I do think the issue is the worst during a cold start. My truck is garage kept so the dealership made it seem that I was getting the cabin smell due to poor ventilation. I kept my previous 2.8 duramax canyon in the same spot with no issues so I’m not buying that as the reason.

I am not surprised it has to deal with the DEF system. I often feel like the smell is extra sweet on some days. My husband has a plug in for his truck (AT4HD 3500) so we are able to see when his truck is ready to regen, and in an active regen. He said that it should plug into mine with no issues. I would love to see what it’s actually doing.

Back