Exhaust Brake

Leo

Sep 22, 2021
Is anyone else as disappointed in the exhaust brake as I am? Coming from a 2.8 diesel Colorado, who's exhaust brake I liked. This one is disappointing.
Could be operator error, but I don't believe so. I have drove may a truck With true jakes, exhaust brakes, etc.
I am not sure this one is even working.
I live in the Sierra Nevada's where every place you go is either up or down.
I tow a 4600 lbs. gross travel trailer.

I know they say there is one but I don’t believe it. My dodge Cummins had excellent exhaust brakes but this truck’s is non existent

Reactions: Leo
I really haven't used mine to be honest.. I know it's the most noticeable (usually) when you're towing a decent load from past modern diesel experiences.

I felt it pulling my 6500# RV trailer. Felt it mostly going downhill but nothing on flatland. I think it has to sense that it is trying to accelerate on its own going downhill.

I felt it pulling my 6500# RV trailer. Felt it mostly going downhill but nothing on flatland. I think it has to sense that it is trying to accelerate on its own going downhill.
How were you operating the Exhaust Brake? Tow Haul and just tap brakes? Cruse control plus tow haul?

All I did was have it in tow/haul mode and it acted on its own when going downhill. As per the diesel supplement:

Exhaust Brake
Exhaust braking is automatically activated
when Tow/Haul Mode is selected.
It maintains the vehicle’s speed by
automatically implementing a shift pattern
that uses the engine and the transmission
to slow the vehicle. The system will
command downshifts and use the
turbocharger on the engine to reduce the
vehicle’s speed when the brake is applied.
The normal tow/haul shift pattern will
return once the vehicle is on a low grade or
when the accelerator pedal is pressed.
While in the Electronic Range Select (ERS)
Mode, grade braking is deactivated, allowing
the driver to select a range and limiting the
highest gear available. See “Manual Mode”
in the owner’s manual.

I may have touched the brake while going downhill but it did kick in either way. It was a fairly steep grade. I have no previous diesel experience so I don't have anything to compare to however, from what I have read, it's not as aggressive as the 6.6L since it is just half its size.

Cruse control plus tow haul?
I don't think so as that would be the equivalent of pressing on the throttle, which according to the supplement, would return to normal shifting. No throttle means you don't want to accelerate unless cruise control completely closes the throttle, which I have never seen done by any vehicle's cruise control.

All I did was have it in tow/haul mode and it acted on its own when going downhill. As per the diesel supplement:

I may have touched the brake while going downhill but it did kick in either way. It was a fairly steep grade. I have no previous diesel experience so I don't have anything to compare to however, from what I have read, it's not as aggressive as the 6.6L since it is just half its size.

I don't think so as that would be the equivalent of pressing on the throttle, which according to the supplement, would return to normal shifting. No throttle means you don't want to accelerate unless cruise control completely closes the throttle, which I have never seen done by any vehicle's cruise control.
On the mini-max(2.8 Colorado) I found if you set cruse control as slow or slower than you want to go down hill, you could over run the speed set, by the throttle. When you wanted to slow down, just release the throttle and the exhaust brake would activate. Long grades with sharper turns in them.

It really shouldn't be called a "exhaust" brake.

The true meaning comes from electronic over mechanical operation, which holds the exhaust valve closed for a timed duration, which pops when the valve is opened.

Sounds cool and works great. Around here we have signs at city limits that say, exhaust brakes prohibited in city limits.Engine Braking Prohibited-City Ordinance.png

do you get a ticket if you downshift to second gear going down hill? that is technically engine braking. we have the same ordinance and i live close enough to the freeway to hear the jake brakes all the time have never seen it enforced. like this law never enforced no littering from aircraft within the city limits

Sec. 20-9. - Dropping from aircraft.

No person in an aircraft shall throw out, drop or deposit within the city any litter, handbill or any other object.
(Code 1960, § 10-46)

No person in an aircraft shall throw out, drop or deposit within the city any litter, handbill or any other object.
(Code 1960, § 10-46)
It must have been a problem in 1960 :LOL:

I doubt very much that cops would enforce it on our tiny trucks no matter where that is. If there's no or little noise, there's no issue. For things like this, cops will usually only react to complaints. I once did give a warning to a dump truck driver doing it needlessly on a flat straight road. Wasted enough of his time for him to get his ass chewed off by his boss.

if you ever pulled over a Cessna i would be impressed. it has been my experience most police are more level headed than the lawmakers and understand what can and can't be done in the real world. if we could just get the lawmakers to quit trying to legislate nice it just doesn't work. And of course Texas has some really dumb laws but we are not the only ones.

KENTUCKY​

One may not dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale unless more than six are for sale at once.

You want crazy laws?

National Capital Commission Traffic regulations (Federally owned property around Ottawa)

8 No person shall throw stones or fire or discharge any missile, firearm, airgun, B.B. gun, fireworks or torpedo on any property of the Commission except in areas specifically designated by the Commission for that purpose.

17 Unless authorized by the Commission, no person shall race any vehicle or animal on property of the Commission.

18 No person shall use any blasphemous or indecent language, or behave in an offensive manner, upon any property of the Commission.

33 No person shall expose on or in any property of the Commission any cards, dice, table, wheel or other device upon, with or by which any game of chance may be played, and no person shall play any such game upon, with or by such device on or in any property of the Commission.

I've actually used #18 with irate people. Sure quiets them down with another $160 ticket for those F bombs :ROFLMAO:

I recently made my first 2 towing trips. One with a car carrier with a Subaru Outback on it, and one my 5000# TT. Both from sea level over >9000 ft. mountain passes to 5000 ft above sea level in Northern Nevada where I live. Both times the engine braking worked like a champ and I was impressed with how it kept my speed in check on those (sometimes) long downhill slopes. I really like it!

Last edited:
Back