Fine shavings on oil dip stick.

Fsandoval

Mar 8, 2021
I was curious if anyone has noticed any really small fine specs of grey or silver in their oil? My 21 gmc has 3600 miles i had the oil changed at 2700 miles and I've noticed recently the oil dipstick has wear and I've seen some fine particles in the oil. I've also noticed when the engine is running and I've opened the oil fill cap I have some blow by. Has anyone came across this or checked for blow by also?

I did an early break-in oil change also. Notice crap and plastic in the filter. Dipstick looked normal when I checked oil last week. Never had the fill cap off while running. Will take a look sometime this week with it running and report back.

I don't believe torque pro is reporting correctly, but in the mountains this week, turbo boost pressure reported 52lbs. I just can't believe that number. But if it's true, I can see blowby will be a problem.

Thanks for the reply i have the 3.0 durmax and 52 lbs of boost is a lot if thats what stock is id imagine maybe 20psi stock. Could you or anyone on here start your truck pop the hood and while the truck is running remove your oil fill cap and see if your engine is also having a little blow by and seeing air blow out?

Thanks for the reply i have the 3.0 durmax and 52 lbs of boost is a lot if thats what stock is id imagine maybe 20psi stock. Could you or anyone on here start your truck pop the hood and while the truck is running remove your oil fill cap and see if your engine is also having a little blow by and seeing air blow out?
Tested mine tonight, seeing a little blow by as well.

Thanks for checking that. The dealer called and told me everything seems normal I guess time will tell if anything happens ill keep you all posted. I ordered a oil test kit from a lab and gonna send them samples and see what they say next oil change.

Is it blow-by or normal piston motion causing the air to be felt at the fill cap? If you put the cap on loosely and it is blown off then it may be blow-by. But the air in the engine is constantly moving so unless it it building up enough pressure to forcefully blow the cap off I don't think it is blow-by. I've also heard that there may be a limited number of defective PVC valves. I don't recall where or what site I read that but it may be accompanied with a P-code.

I found the specs. Page says 42.8 pounds max. Way more than I would imagine, myself.

Don't know if it was a fluke or torque pro is off. Before this reading, it would show 0-32# of boost, just driving aggressive, from a stop.

I found the specs. Page says 42.8 pounds max. Way more than I would imagine, myself.

Don't know if it was a fluke or torque pro is off. Before this reading, it would show 0-32# of boost, just driving aggressive, from a stop.
It’s 29psi of boost with regular thinking. But the 42.8 is absolute pressure. Including the 14 or so psi we live in. Just an FYI.

Back