First towing experiencewith my LM2...

NEVADADSL

Aug 17, 2021
Got a call the other afternoon. My son was on his way up from L.A. to where I live in Northern Nevada. As luck would have it, he broke down in Manzanar (for those of you familiar with the area, Manzanar was where the US Govt sent all the US citizens of Japanese ancestry during WWII. It is waaay the hell out in the middle of nowhere on hwy 395.) What to do, what to do.... So I rented a flat bed car haul trailer in Carson City and began the long trek - some 3 1/2 hours from home. Got there in pitch dark, and thankfully found him pretty easily. Got the car loaded up and headed home (didn't get home until midnight....). The car was a 2005 Subaru Outback - and the engine let go with a bad rod knock.
My 2021 GMC Sierra Elevation towed this load (and I will admit, it was probably only ~45000 pounds), but I have to say I was impressed with the power and smoothness. Had to go over a couple 7000 Ft passes and the 10 speed transmission was perfect in tow/haul mode. And the "jake brake" auto downshifting on the downhill slopes was amazing. I was extremely impressed with this truck!
Now I get to go pick up my new Rockwood Mini Lte 22' trailer (dry weight ~4500#, GVW~6000#) this coming Sunday, which will be a 2 1/2 hour drive over Carson Pass (8500 ft). And, after the experience of towing my son's car home and knowing the towing performance of my truck,, I am looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Got a call the other afternoon. My son was on his way up from L.A. to where I live in Northern Nevada. As luck would have it, he broke down in Manzanar (for those of you familiar with the area, Manzanar was where the US Govt sent all the US citizens of Japanese ancestry during WWII. It is waaay the hell out in the middle of nowhere on hwy 395. What to do, what to do.... So I rented a flat bed car haul trailer in Carson City and began the long trek - some 3 1/2 hours from home. Got there in pitch dark, and thankfully found him pretty easily. Got the car loaded up and headed home (didn't get home until midnight....). The car was a 2005 Subaru Outback - and the engine let go with a bad rod knock.
My 2021 GMC Sierra Elevation towed this load (and I will admit, it was probably only ~45000 pounds), but I have to say I was impressed with the power and smoothness. Had to go over a couple 7000 Ft passes and the 10 speed transmission was perfect in tow/haul mode. And the "jake brake" auto downshifting on the downhill slopes was amazing. I was extremely impressed with this truck!
Now I get to go pick up my new Rockwood Mini Lte 22' trailer (dry weight ~4500#, GVW~6000#) this coming Sunday, which will be a 2 1/2 hour drive over Carson Pass (8500 ft). And, after the experience of towing my son's car home and knowing the towing performance of my truck,, I am looking forward to it!
I know it's a typo, but I would be impressed at ~45000 lbs, too!

Back