Fuel cap mod

gemarsh

Nebraska, where the Dusty Denali Diesel's roam.
Staff member
Nov 25, 2020
Been meaning to post this for awhile now...
For those of you that don't want to scratch your paint and can't find anything magnetic besides your painted box when fueling...

10-24x1/4" Phillips flathead machine screw and nut along with a 1/4" flat washer...

Attachments

• 20210121_124919.jpg
    20210121_124919.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210121_125140.jpg
    20210121_125140.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210121_125149.jpg
    20210121_125149.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 53
I like it, the green cap is magnetic? Is there an "O" ring seal? Does it fit snug into fuel filler?
Where did you buy it from, I definitely do not like the NO cap, its a funnel for water in car wash and heavy rain without a cap

went with a cheap 3d printed cap with GMC on it not magnetic works but would not recommend

went with a cheap 3d printed cap with GMC on it not magnetic works but would not recommend
So did I, Plastic from Amazon-it was junk, sent it back, found a juice bottle cap that fit tighter, just ordered the one that GEMARSH recommended.

Attachments

• fuelCapMod.jpg
    fuelCapMod.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 24
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Got mine on today.. Mod #1 complete. :cool:

Went with this one:
So did I works well, glued a small magnet on the inside of door making sure the attractive side faced the inside of door works perfect, Thanks again for the heads up

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So did I works well, glued a small magnet on the inside of door making sure the attractive side faced the inside of door works perfect, Thanks again for the heads up

Great idea, I noticed today filling up for the first time with it I had no where to sit it that I wouldn't forget it.

Hey gemarsh,
How did you remove the plastic liner to install your bolt and washer?

It has a couple of retainers that you gently lift away and with the fuel door open slide it off out away from the truck, it slides in on 2 tracts

Look at the picture gemarsh posted previously* first in this string), there is a rectangle tab aside of the screw that's the tab you must lift a little to get the panel to slide out

I've got the cap however I've just been putting it on the tonneau cover while filling. Great ideas for a magnetic holder.

Look at the picture gemarsh posted previously* first in this string), there is a rectangle tab aside of the screw that's the tab you must lift a little to get the panel to slide out
You must have been reading my mind.

No luck pulling out the fuel door liner yet.
Any other tips I can get?
rbdjr is spot on, on the removal.

When I did it, I said well this ain't gonna be hard. Turns out it was tough to get it to slide. When the meat and potatoes kicked in and finally got it off, it released and I about feel backwards.

Saying "damn, now what did it break." In the back of my head saying, "well atleast it won't be to expensive, cause it's plastic and small." But, in the end, didn't hurt a thing, not even a scratch.

Turns out it, if'n irc, it only needs to slide half way off then lifted off the tracks.

What about just using a short self tapping or wood screw to hold the washer? Drill a small hole and screw it in. If retention is an issue, a drop of super glue should do it. The no need to take off the plastic from the door.

What about just using a short self tapping or wood screw to hold the washer? Drill a small hole and screw it in. If retention is an issue, a drop of super glue should do it. The no need to take off the plastic from the door.
Bought this in ebay fits snug.

Back