Highway speed hop while towing

OH Chevy Diesel

Dec 28, 2020
My new 2020 Silverado LT is a pleasure to drive except for towing, the intended purpose of my purchase. I'm slowly working thru the issue, though.

Prior to the 1500, I had a Colorado 2.8l mini-max which did a pretty good good job towing my 4600 lb deep-v boat (walk-thru windshield). It didn't haven't have the power to pass as the Silverado does but is was acceptable as long as I respected it's limitations.

I noticed the hop on my first trip towing the boat. At about 62-65 the rear end developed a hop that I couldn't drive out of. The steering wheel wasn't shaking so I figured it was the back and it was bad. Took it to the dealer where I convinced them to balance and rotate the tires based on my complaint (only had 3600 miles on it at the time). My thinking was a bad belt in one of the rear tires (stock GY Wranglers). That took some of the hop out and closed the speeds at which it happens. After the tire rotation, I could drive out of the hop at 80 (too fast to pull the boat, though). So, I had the trailer tires balanced and rotated this week. That also helped as not the hop starts closer to 70 and mostly goes away by 75-77 but it's still there.

Not sure what to do at this point. If I take it back to the dealer, they want to keep it a day or two to "diagnose". When asked how they plan to do that without the boat, they look at me like I have to heads. Said I may need to bring the boat in and take the foreman out to show what it is doing, which I may do. Considering upgrading tires as well. Made a huge difference on the Colorado as the stock GY Wranglers were crap to begin with.

Anyone else have this problem?

My new 2020 Silverado LT is a pleasure to drive except for towing, the intended purpose of my purchase. I'm slowly working thru the issue, though.

Prior to the 1500, I had a Colorado 2.8l mini-max which did a pretty good good job towing my 4600 lb deep-v boat (walk-thru windshield). It didn't haven't have the power to pass as the Silverado does but is was acceptable as long as I respected it's limitations.

I noticed the hop on my first trip towing the boat. At about 62-65 the rear end developed a hop that I couldn't drive out of. The steering wheel wasn't shaking so I figured it was the back and it was bad. Took it to the dealer where I convinced them to balance and rotate the tires based on my complaint (only had 3600 miles on it at the time). My thinking was a bad belt in one of the rear tires (stock GY Wranglers). That took some of the hop out and closed the speeds at which it happens. After the tire rotation, I could drive out of the hop at 80 (too fast to pull the boat, though). So, I had the trailer tires balanced and rotated this week. That also helped as not the hop starts closer to 70 and mostly goes away by 75-77 but it's still there.

Not sure what to do at this point. If I take it back to the dealer, they want to keep it a day or two to "diagnose". When asked how they plan to do that without the boat, they look at me like I have to heads. Said I may need to bring the boat in and take the foreman out to show what it is doing, which I may do. Considering upgrading tires as well. Made a huge difference on the Colorado as the stock GY Wranglers were crap to begin with.

Anyone else have this problem?
Tires on the trailer needs to be balanced or replaced, belts may have shifted in the trailer tires! Get new tires! IT’S NOT THE TRUCK!!! Trust me

Trailer tires have been road force balanced with no issues. I can feel the hop in the truck without the trailer connected but to a much lesser extent. Same speed, though. Going to have the truck tires road force balanced this week to see what that does. Waiting for a chance to hook my boat to a friend’s Sierra to see if it does it to his truck, too. If it doesn’t, I’ll probably replace the stock truck tires. If it does then the trailer tires.

Sounds like you are hot on the trail to find the problem! Good thing you can tow it with another truck! So you feel something without the trailer! Sounds like your close to finding it! Good luck!

Yeah, a very light hop. Pretty strange, actually. More noticeable in the morning but I’m not driving as fast then. Usually right at 70. In the afternoon it’s higher as there is more traffic and everyone has a lead foot going home.

Yeah, a very light hop. Pretty strange, actually. More noticeable in the morning but I’m not driving as fast then. Usually right at 70. In the afternoon it’s higher as there is more traffic and everyone has a lead foot going home.
Mine is perfectly balanced. In February I drove from Massachusetts to California and back in March, and what a beautiful ride, I am a mechanic and very fussy about ride and shakes! Mine has the 22” wheels! I drove 1,000 miles a day, so 3 days out and 3 back! Lot of the speed limits are 80, so all day I was running 80-95, and got 25-29 mpg, and my best is 37.0. I’m happy!

Back