Newbie with a 2021 RST/Z71 LM2 on order...

mxrob

Aug 23, 2020
<the sound of chomping at the bit> :)

A mostly Chevy guy (although I've owned just about every brand at one point or another) with my trusty 99 AWD Astro van finally beginning to give up the ghost and nothing to replace it I'm going with the Silverado LM2. I'd order a Astro style van with a diesel in a heartbeat if Chevy brought the Astro (or similar) back with the option of a diesel. Such a useful vehicle for the inclement northern US. But I digress.

So I have a 2021 1500 RST/Z71 dark essentials package with a bunch of other options on order. NOT a packrat so shiny stuff does not interest me in the least. Trying to get the RD1 wheels put on it from the factory.... if not I'll order and have the dealer install them. Now all I have to do is find some black Duramax emblems for the hood. :sneaky:

Welcome!! I'm glad to see ordering is open for the '21's. The new interior should be an upgrade hopefully.

Thanks! Well I configured it on the 2020 Chevrolet build site. Then forgot about my GM supplier discount so went there and reconfigured the truck. I took the printout to my local dealer to order the truck and put down the earnest money. The salesman called a me a day later and told me Chevrolet had already concluded taking orders for 2020 models and were already changing over to the 2021 model for any new orders. There are some package changes in 2021 so the dealer said we'd see how that affected my build and that they'd make sure everything I wanted on the truck was going to be installed. At minimum they said I'd get what I want but with the new packages I may get additional items.

I wish they allowed some more options. The you can't get this if you don't order that is a pain. Only certain wheels (can't specify the RD1's) I wanted black chrome RST exhaust tips coming through the bumper. I spec'd that and it dumps the diesel and tells you to select another engine yet the dealer can install them for me. Yeah, their build site(s) need a "tune up" :) I guess I understand it for production groupings speeding up the build process where they only have to deal with certain possibilities but geez, when you are spending $50k plus for a vehicle you really don't feel like compromising on your dream list right?

OK, Chevy rant off... still chomping at the bit. The most important thing is where are my black Duramax hood emblems? :cool:

I was at the dealer Friday. According to my salesman the HD lines are already converted over to the 2021 models but the 1500 lines are not although they are supposedly done building 2020 models. They are working on new packages that will have different options and may include things that I have spec'd on my truck. I just told him the build has to include everything I've spec'd and that I'd take anything else that may have been included in the new packages.

Once they get all that sorted out I'll get my build date. Hopefully I'm fairly close to the top of the list. :)

On a more gratifying note.... What do I see parked right up front at the dealership? A near perfect copy of my truck except the color and a few options! A white 2020 1500 RST,Z71, Duramax, Double Cab, std bed with almost every option I have on order except it didn't have the bucket seats and power sliding rear window. Nearly my truck in bright white. I had not yet rode in or driven a 1500 with a LM2 and my salesman saw me coming and said "wanna take it for a nice long spin?" Hell Ya!!!

He went to get a license plate and put it on the truck then handed me the FOB. "Have fun and take your time" <the sound of an arm being twisted>

I'll spare you the hoots and hollering narrative since you all know the deal but this truck is everything I was expecting it to be and more. Wow! So happy and even more excited about getting my build. When I came back I told my salesman "you know those annoying customers always asking weekly" 'is it here yet?' "Well, you just created one that might be asking daily." LOL!

Last edited:
Lol.. good to hear. Sounds like you’ve got a great dealer as well. When they give those test rides they know they got us!!

Keep us updated on the build date 😎

Back