Oil ads

Captjack

Jan 14, 2021
Maybe somebody here can help I'm looking at Hot Shots friction reducer oil additives was wondering if anyone had experience with it and if it's worth the money

What exactly are you looking for it to do? Oil itself is a friction reducer. Anything that will increase friction in an engine will be because it is a solid that is suspended in oil.

Hey jj not really sure i just think the oil we use 0/20 is such low velocity if there something on the Market that could help with lubrication it couldn't hurt and I saw this advertisement for the ( hot shots ) and reading the reviews not sure if it's good or snake oil and was hoping for some input

There are two rreasons that we use 0W20 oil. #1 Emissions, The EPA states that each manufacture has to have an overall fleet emissions number and one of the ways they get this is by utilizing thinner oils. we don't really need to go into how this works. #2 these engines are very close tolerance, they need a thinner oil to get through the oil passages and all the areas that need to be lubricated. (This also plays into the emissions and efficiency of the engine). If you start messing with the viscosity of the oil, you risk damaging the internal components. If you notice, GM does not give you any range of viscosities to use based on external temperatures as they do in other engines. My opinion, which is mine alone, is that anything that promotes doing anything to the engine oil that will change any properties of what is designed by the manufacture is nothing but snake oil and a marketing scheme to make money.

I appreciate the information and response and have to agree with the opinion of snake oil

Maybe somebody here can help I'm looking at Hot Shots friction reducer oil additives was wondering if anyone had experience with it and if it's worth the money

I'd recommend it for older (higher mileage), oil-driven fuel systems like the 7.3L and 6.0L Fords, International and CAT engines with a HEUI fuel system.

IMO - not needed in in a Duramax engine.

Back