PF66 oil filter shortage

gemarsh

Nebraska, where the Dusty Denali Diesel's roam.
Staff member
Nov 25, 2020
Good info from GM

Reference Number: GCUS-9-11766

PF66 (GM #55495105) Oil Filter Shortage and Replacement Parts Effective 8/20/2021

Due to increase in demand in the past 6 months, the PF66 oil filter (GM# 55495105) is currently backordered.

In the immediate interim, GM Engineering has recommended the ACDelco UPF66R as the preferred approved filter.

While not equivalent with the OE filter, considering the potential impact on GM vehicle owner satisfaction, we are allowing the usage of the following aftermarket filters for a limited time until a solution is identified. Additional bulletins will be distributed advising of sufficient PF66 availability and ending the competitive aftermarket filter warranty. We will also continue to warranty the engines (subject to remaining warranty) that receive one of the following aftermarket filters:

• Mighty – M9510
  • Valvoline – VO202
  • Parts Master – WL610351
  • Luber-finer – PH10066
  • Champ – PH10066
  • Wix – WL10351
  • NapaGold – 100351
  • PurolatorTech – TL11241
  • Purolator – L11424

I emailed Baldwin filters this week, which are manufactured 40 miles west from me, about the the availability of the PF66.

His reply was that they expected a cross by the end of the year. It is in tool and die engineering.

I exclusively run Baldwin filters on all my equipment, minus the Caterpillars.

I will have no qualms using a baldwin filter.

I did some searching and have no idea why the pf66 is backordered, but the pf66 is also used on the gm 2.0l 4cyl turbo. It is stuffed into the GMC's Acadia also in the Buick's.

So there goes my idea of this filter only fitting the 3.0 duramax.

just ordered 3 ACDelco UPF66R from RockAuto $7and change each, mins ago. fed x delivery
I put myself on the" let me know when in stock," list and an email came , quantity I requested was 3

Last edited:
That's good to read. I looked two weeks ago and they weren't in stock.

Yep I check RockAuto a few times a week and still haven't caught any.. :D

They have some pf66 and the extreme duty black one also. 7 dollars and change for the black one, but shipping is 17.95. I passed..

shipping where I live was $10, for 3 filters(approx$3 a filter), so hopefully by the time I get 15000 more miles shortage will be over and I can pick up locally

Checked on RA's site and the PF66 seems to be in stock.

Reading that bulletin above, those other filters are interchangeable however GM seems to say that after this shortage is over and another bulletin comes out saying so, they will not warranty engines that use other filters? After seeing what the PF66 looks like, I'd rather go with a Wix myself, which is out of stock on RA.

Checked on RA's site and the PF66 seems to be in stock.

Reading that bulletin above, those other filters are interchangeable however GM seems to say that after this shortage is over and another bulletin comes out saying so, they will not warranty engines that use other filters? After seeing what the PF66 looks like, I'd rather go with a Wix myself, which is out of stock on RA.
I thought there was a court case, that manufacturers couldn't mandate to use their brands. Mossburg or something to that extent.

I thought it was something saying you didn't have to use the dealer for regular maintenance, which is why you see the notation "warranty approved" at quick lube places. However, since we can only get the oil and probably the filter at the dealer, it kinda makes it a moot point at least until the other shops have access to the oil and filter.

Found this for the US:

You don’t have to use the dealer for repairs or maintenance to keep your warranty in effect. In fact, it’s illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs done by someone else. That said, the dealer or manufacturer can make you use select repair facilities if the work is done for free under the warranty.

And Canada:

Most new vehicles come with an owner’s manual that contains a lot of information. Some of which may deal with aftermarket parts. There may be clauses in the manual pertaining to the warranty. Ones that state that the use of aftermarket parts that do not meet the OEM standards could void the warranty. However, the consensus is that the majority of garages are meeting OEM standards. They do this by using approved materials which includes oil brands and filters. But, it is up to the vehicle owner to confirm this. The vehicle owner that is sure that OEM standards are being implemented complies with the clauses in the owner’s manual. Those that pertain to the warranty.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act oil change facts

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act oil changes do not void your warranty. The Act allows routine maintenance to be performed on your vehicle. “Routine maintenance” by definition of the FTC includes an oil change. The FTC has stated that it’s illegal for an automobile dealer or OEM to refuse your warranty coverage because someone else performed routine maintenance or repairs on your vehicle. Any independent auto technician, a chain service repair business, or even yourself in your driveway are allowed to do routine maintenance or repairs on your vehicle.
According to the FTC you must still use proper oil specifications. Neglecting oil changes, neglecting maintenance or using oil that does not comply with factory-recommended specifications are completely separate issues from the Magnuson-Moss regulations. End copy and paste.

I copied that from the web. So after reading that, would the use of the "approved" filters that gm listed during the shortage still be considered proper, I wonder in the courts eyes?

Do OEMs publish lists of "approved" filters like they do for oil? The bulletin was an exception and even say "Additional bulletins will be distributed advising of sufficient PF66 availability and ending the competitive aftermarket filter warranty."

However, in the bulletin, they say "While not equivalent with the OE filter, ... ". So what does that mean? Are aftermarket filters inferior? Superior? This statement doesn't say. Some ACDelco filters, like the PF48, are clearly inferior to most aftermarket ones. Aside from doing a full filtration test, we would have to do a comparison of build qualities if it ever came to a court case.

Notice that in the bulletin, they did not include Fram :ROFLMAO:

Back