SNOW!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2018
We've had two pretty decent snow events the past two weeks, and my poor truck is nasty. Anyone else getting hit hard recently?

PS: I have a plan to build a shop next to my house this year so I'm hoping to have that nice heated wash bay at some point!

Nope, have had a total of 5 inches in 3 snows.

Normal year, would have a snow shovel worn out by now.

Don't even know If'n the 4x4 works on new truck.

Just got a 47cm (18.5") dump and the Sierra was able to get out of the driveway through the mound left by the plow without any issues. And that was with the Cooper AT3 tires. Drove in this stuff like a champ.

Glad we finally got some snow so I can get riding on the sled! Woohoo!

Yes very mild snow year for me, 2 snow event both less than 4".
I also have no clue if 4wd even works, LOL and I don't mind

Depends. If the road is plowed off, but spots of packed snow/ice, I will run in auto.

3 inches of snow, packed snow, drifts, locked in 4x4 if'n I need to go above 10mph or stop and go.

I'm not an Auto button guy, I prefer 4wd or 2 wheel drive. On my wife truck, I recommend auto for her when she drives. .
lots more wear and tear on the front axle, and clutch pack wear in the transfer case.
I can push the button from one to the other when needed not a big deal.

Last edited:
I drove for two days through mostly snow from Phoenix AZ, to Lynden WA. Went through northern AZ, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, Washington. Had no problem at all. I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzak on my stock 17” wheels. I love driving in the snow.

On anther issue...I needed to put my tuck up on my ramps the other day to check an oil leak I had (after the dealer changed my oil but that is another L O N G story). Anyway one of the ramps kept slipping so I put it in 4H. Ramp still kept slipping. So I tried 4L, which I had not ever used, The truck crawled right up the ramp with me not even using the throttle. I thought that was prety cool.

As far as snow, I use 4H if there is snow, and have used AUTO if patchy snow or ice. But I have to say I feel more in control just using 4H. Will probably stick with 4H going forward...(no pun intended!)

So I tried 4L, which I had not ever used, The truck crawled right up the ramp with me not even using the throttle. I thought that was prety cool.
There was a time in life, that we had 2wd-low for things like that. Then we got fat and didn't want to get out of the cab.

PS... Maybe I should say, "We got lazy and then we got fat."

we never get snow 99% clear or rain 1% ice not snow have used auto twice once to see if it worked and once on ice where it made all four wheels slip. driving on ice is more about technique than tires sort of like playing asteroids.

we never get snow 99% clear or rain 1% ice not snow have used auto twice once to see if it worked and once on ice where it made all four wheels slip. driving on ice is more about technique than tires sort of like playing asteroids.
Huh, never figured youall Texas folk would think driving on ice was like playing asteroids.

I was thinking more like arcade bumper cars. 😁
texas snow.jpg

Huh, never figured youall Texas folk would think driving on ice was like playing asteroids.

I was thinking more like arcade bumper cars. 😁
View attachment 594
Haha, everything shuts down here. I just had a 4 day weekend from the ice and snow we got.

I remember seeing a news report of 140+ car crashes in some Northern state last year. I laughed and figured they must have gotten some of that Texas ice.

I also enjoyed a 4 day weekend from that little bit of snow we got here in north Tx. This Chevy handled it like a champ with stock tires and 4wd.

20220502_182741.jpg

This is out my back door. This field is already planted to beans. It's may 2nd.

Oh my.. I'm not a farmer, but how does this impact your crop?

Oh my.. I'm not a farmer, but how does this impact your crop?
Don't know until it warms up and things start growing again. I will dig down to the seed and see if they are rotten after it dries up.

It's still early so have time to replant.

Back