SPORT MODE

Dan Forker

Jul 23, 2020
Just curious, but I have been tracking mpg on my 2020 Silverado LTZ/Z71 with the 3.0 diesel engine, in normal mode and then in sport mode. I'll admit that I have a little bit of a lead foot and drive speed limit + 9 all the time. In mixed city and highway driving the truck will consistently get 1 to 2 mpg better in sport mode than normal. In tracking this I have stayed in the chosen mode for 350 +/- miles. Has anyone else looked at this. If the results so far are not an anomaly then I wonder it the dealer tech can program to truck to default to sport mode so I don't have to manually chose sport mode each time the truck had been turned off and then on again? By the way, less than 2000 miles on the truck and just love it. That engine is a real tiger. Couldn't ask for more.

That's a nice observation. I'm interested to hear others feedback as well...

I just finished another 350 mile comparison. 350 miles on NORMAL yielded 23.1 mpg per the vehicle computer and 350 miles on SPORT yielded 25.5 mpg. I did the NORMAL miles one week and the SPORT the following week. Miles consisted of 30 miles daily to and from work and 200 mile round trip to our lake house on the weekend. Same route and same speeds. Truck now has slightly over 2000 miles on it. I don't understand but would like to hear from others to compare results.

I just finished another 350 mile comparison. 350 miles on NORMAL yielded 23.1 mpg per the vehicle computer and 350 miles on SPORT yielded 25.5 mpg. I did the NORMAL miles one week and the SPORT the following week. Miles consisted of 30 miles daily to and from work and 200 mile round trip to our lake house on the weekend. Same route and same speeds. Truck now has slightly over 2000 miles on it. I don't understand but would like to hear from others to compare results.
just have 1400 miles and noticed it appears to get better mpg in sport mode. nobody else really talking about it. Are you still using sport mode regularly?

What does Sport mode do compared to Normal mode? Will give it a try and see if it makes any difference in mileage on my vehicle.

In response to the question as to whether or not I continue to use Sport mode routinely the answer is yes. It still appears to me that mileage is one to two miles per gallon better in Sport. When ever I start the truck I first disable Auto Stop and then switch to sport mode.

Thanks for the info. I will probably take the next few weeks and experiment and let you know how mine does...

Has anyone done any more sport mode testing? I spend all day driving around slow out on oilfield roads a lot of stopping and starting and I wonder if it would help my mileage with less lugging…. 🤔

Was the difference in mileage observed on the cluster mpg display or by calculating miles driven by gallons used? I'm hesitant to go by what the cluster display says. I drove an 1,800 mile round trip. The cluster display said 24.5 (I was disappointed in seeing this). However, dividing the miles driven by gallons used I got the accurate mpg of 27.7 (speeds 75-80mph).

Was the difference in mileage observed on the cluster mpg display or by calculating miles driven by gallons used? I'm hesitant to go by what the cluster display says. I drove an 1,800 mile round trip. The cluster display said 24.5 (I was disappointed in seeing this). However, dividing the miles driven by gallons used I got the accurate mpg of 27.7 (speeds 75-80mph).
I’m with you I always hand calculate if I really wanna know what I’m getting. I’m trying it in sport mode anyway so far what I’ve seen on here seems to be positive as far as fuel mileage goes.

If that's the case, why wouldn't GM use this as a default or normal mode? If it helps MPG, this would help their CAFE targets. Haven't noticed any real changes in shifting or being so much different that it would raise concerns.

If that's the case, why wouldn't GM use this as a default or normal mode? If it helps MPG, this would help their CAFE targets. Haven't noticed any real changes in shifting or being so much different that it would raise concerns.
Yeah who knows and yeah it’s not a huge difference for sure I’m running it in sport mode just because a couple other people here said they saw a little bit better fuel mileage. And so far nobody has contradicted it.

From my limited use of sport mode, it just seems to hold the higher RPM's longer after letting off. I'm guessing in case you get right back on it and not having to shift so much.
I suppose there are certain driving conditions and/or styles where it may help a little for mileage but normal probably works best for most. One less thing to do after already having to push the autostop button 😉. Haven't been annoyed enough yet to get the eliminator

Well I do have the auto-stop eliminator 😉
However, I can see where even that could help a bit with mileage in heavy stop and go traffic. I know my mileage has been a little lower during the winter by remote starting it to warm up.

Well I do have the auto-stop eliminator 😉
However, I can see where even that could help a bit with mileage in heavy stop and go traffic. I know my mileage has been a little lower during the winter by remote starting it to warm up.
Ya I hear you but when you live in the frozen wasteland that we do it’s a very nice feature lol

I have noticed an increase with the " Sport Mode" also, but now that winter is here my mileage has dropped off approx by at least 6mpg, between me remote starting( spoiled my wife says) and I believe the winterized fuel both contributing factors in lower mpg now.
I saw 34mpg on a trip to Virginia and back last July on my 2021 RST 3.0 4x4 crew short bed and had it in sport mode and tried to be gentle on throttle and never went over 65mph to see how good of mpg I could obtain.

Back