Tires and MPG

CoyoteJackson

Nov 5, 2021
The general’s that came on my truck should be good to 50k but I’m trying to figure out my next set of tires. I don’t want to sacrifice my excellent fuel mileage but I really want an all terrain tire. I’ve thought about going to the tried and true Michelin Defender but again, I prefer an all terrain. I want to try Micky Thompson’s new Baja Boss A/T in the stock size or maybe find an 8 ply tire. Toyo makes a 10 ply version on the A/T 2 or A/T 3 in my stock 20” size but I don’t need 10 ply or want the stiffer ride. So what tires have you changed over to and what, if any changes in mpg/ride/handling have you seen?

You'll loose at least 2 MPG in my previous trucks experiences.. I did in my 2.8L Colorado by going up 2 sizes.

When I ever get my leveling shocks on my truck I'll be going with the Falken Wildpeak AT3's.

I want to stick with stock size, just a bit more aggressive tread pattern. I had Falken’s on my last dodge diesel and they were an excellent tire.

I went with Cooper Discoverer AT3 and didn't notice a big change in MPG however I didn't have the original Generals long enough to really compare. I love that I don't have to have a winter set of tires with these. The only negative I've heard about these is they wear fairly fast. I've put about 16k km on them so far and liking them.

I’ve had those Cooper’s on a truck I used on the mail route and they were a great tire too. As long as it’s not a noticeable mpg loss, I’ll go with an A/T tire

Well at 38k I finally had a flat I had to change so instead of buying a single new general, I ordered a new set of Mickey Thompson Baja Boss a/t. They are a very aggressive a/t and look really nice. I can barely hear the lugs at low speed and just a faint hint of them at hwy speeds. They have a 60k mile warranty and I only got them installed yesterday, so time will tell how they hold up.
D0C1B725-3F94-4AF2-8C93-375AFA01250D.jpegACDA75B3-563A-45D2-849F-1D7116AE4AA1.jpegBFB2B55B-2653-438F-8FE7-251887A0C61A.jpeg

Back