Transmission fluid change

Insidious

Feb 4, 2022
I just found out today that our tranny is supposed to be serviced at 45K. From what I’ve seen online it’s a pain in the ass because there’s no drain plug and you have to drop the pan to change the filter. Was wondering if any of you have had to get this done yet. I’m at 43,000 miles right now so I guess I’ll be getting it done soon, can’t wait to see what the Stealership will charge for this.

I just found out today that our tranny is supposed to be serviced at 45K. From what I’ve seen online it’s a pain in the ass because there’s no drain plug and you have to drop the pan to change the filter. Was wondering if any of you have had to get this done yet. I’m at 43,000 miles right now so I guess I’ll be getting it done soon, can’t wait to see what the Stealership will charge for this.
I don’t know anything about it on our trucks but I’ve change trans oil and filter on many vehicles and it’s always been pretty simple…. Of course it wouldn’t surprise me if these are a whole new ball of complicated over-engineered wax haha

Dropping the pan to change filters is not uncommon. What is uncommon, is not having a damn dipstick!.

That's been common for a while now. My '11 Caprice PPV with the 6L80E tranny doesn't have one.

Anybody try to find the fluid for our 10 speeds? It's not the regular Dexron VI. It uses Dexron ULV. How much they sell this stuff for? And of course it'll be 3x the price in Canada like the oil. :mad:

Edit: Here's something I found out and may be important for those that will tackle this:

IMPORTANT: The quart containers of Dexron ULV must be shaken to stir up the additives before pouring. This fluid is not backward compatible with any previous fluids.

Last edited:
Dropping the pan to change filters is not uncommon. What is uncommon, is not having a damn dipstick!.
Ya that is dumb I’ve seen that on a few vehicles now and the filter change looks like it’s the same as most vehicles pre-Allison external filter and drain plug. The tricky part looks to be filling and checking level although I think once a guys done it it will be pretty straight forward…. Definitely would be nicer on a hoist!

That's been common for a while now. My '11 Caprice PPV with the 6L80E tranny doesn't have one.

Anybody try to find the fluid for our 10 speeds? It's not the regular Dexron VI. It uses Dexron ULV. How much they sell this stuff for? And of course it'll be 3x the price in Canada like the oil. :mad:

Edit: Here's something I found out and may be important for those that will tackle this:

Ya dipsticks have been disappearing on small cars for quite awhile now

I’ll check with my dealership on this and let y’all know. I’m gonna have to get it done in 2K miles.

Ya looks like for the majority of people the dealership will be the way to go, hopefully they don’t want your first born!

Of course they will and for an extra charge, even refill your headlight fluid and rotate your brakes :LOL:

AmsOil lists it, $15 a quart but they are out of stock. I have 13,500 miles hopefully when I get close to 40k it will be in stock again.

Use AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF in transmissions and other applications that require any of the following specifications: Aisin-Warner AW-1; BMW 83 22 0 142 516, 83 22 2 152 426; Chrysler MOPAR* 68157995AA, SP-IV, 68218925AB; DSIH 6p805; Ford MERCON* LV, SP, ULV; GM DEXRON* HP, DEXRON* VI, ULV; Honda/Acura DW-1*, Type 3.0; Hyundai/Kia SP-IV, SPH-IV, SP-IVRR, NWS-9638, SP4-M; JASO 1A-LV; JWS 3324; Mazda ATF FZ; Mercedes Benz 236.12, 236.14, 236.15, 236.41; Mitsubishi SP-IV, ATF J3, ATF-PA, ATF-MA1; Nissan Matic-S, MaticW; Saab 93 165 147; Shell M-1375.4, M-1375.5, M-1375.6, M-L 12108; Toyota WS; Volvo 31256774; VW/Audi G 055 005, G 055 162, G 060 162; ZF S671 090 255. AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF is backward compatible and replaces DEXRON III fluids in older GM automatic transmissions. (DEXRON VI specification supersedes the obsolete DEXRON III in GM vehicles.) Also suitable for Toyota CVT applications calling for the Toyota “WS” specification.

I’m glad you brought this up, I planned on changing mine at 30k since I tow a lot. I’m at 28k now and usually do all my own maintenance but an atf bath really sucks. I think I read that there is a plug or tiny dipstick that mustang guys use that will work for our 10 speeds too. I have half a mind to weld a bung in the pan so next time it won’t be such a mess.

I’m glad you brought this up, I planned on changing mine at 30k since I tow a lot. I’m at 28k now and usually do all my own maintenance but an atf bath really sucks. I think I read that there is a plug or tiny dipstick that mustang guys use that will work for our 10 speeds too. I have half a mind to weld a bung in the pan so next time it won’t be such a mess.
Plus atf doesn’t taste as good as it looks! 🤢

AmsOil lists it, $15 a quart but they are out of stock. I have 13,500 miles hopefully when I get close to 40k it will be in stock again.
Is it actually licensed by GM as Dexron ULV compliant? Doubt it because it also lists in there Dexron VI, which is not ultra low viscosity (ULV) compliant. Wanna play russian roulette with your tranny? Pretty much the same deal as the DexosD engine oil.

Oil makers can say anything on their labels EXCEPT it's licensed unless they pay the royalty and submit to GM's testing. It's a lot of money. That's why ACDelco has the monopoly on both right now.

Dex VI is older than ULV. And I don't think even ULV is backward compatible. It was designed specifically for this tranny.

Your are 100% correct did a bit of research, Amazon has it for $16 a quart and you can read the label on the bottle completely front and rear. Says it is NOT backward compatible with the VI.
They also have an offer for a 6 pack for $57.75 seems like a good deal.

ACDelco 104107 Dexron-ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 Quart (6 Pack) $57.75 free ship​

Rock Auto $4.86 quart plus ship,

Have found it several places online for about $5.50 or less a quart, plus ship

Last edited:
Good find on RA. Oddly enough, they didn't list it under my specific truck but it's there. It's not available on Amazon.ca. Hopefully it will be available in gallons soon.

Back