2 out of 3 OEM mods done

Myzery19

Jul 22, 2021
When I got my truck, there were a few items that I was hoping to get, the LCD rearview, wireless charging, and the larger instrument cluster....well, that wasn't possible.

I ended up picking up the wireless charger kit for the 21's at 404part, and the rearview camera at infotainment, overall happy with the addition. The mirror is expensive, I don't know that this was something I needed, but its overall function/purpose is nice. Not having wireless charging, though, that one drove me nuts since these trucks have wireless android/car play.

I will say this if you opt to do the mirror, save it for a nice cool day, give yourself a couple of hours, and stay calm; it's a pain. The wireless charger, in comparison to the mirror, is a breeze, maybe 30-40 mins for removal/install.

At some point, my new cluster will show up from WAMS, with the chip shortage though, no telling how long that will take.

Attachments

• Screenshots_2021-08-05-12-55-51.png
    Screenshots_2021-08-05-12-55-51.png
    884.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210805_080506_HDR.jpg
    20210805_080506_HDR.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 30
Have you been able to adjust your eyesight fast enough to use the rear view mirror camera at 80 mph?

I don't wear glasses, but my eyes won't adjust/focus fast enough to use the camera. I really like the view/display, but if I look forward for 15 seconds driving and glance at the mirror display it's blurry for a second or two. If I stare at it, it's fine. But that is all the time I glance at it doing interstate speed.

Now that I have the rear camera on an 8" screen, that is all I use to backup, along with the side mirrors. I feel all the camera views on a denali, GM has done a good job with. But that rear view camera is one I don't use.

Have you been able to adjust your eyesight fast enough to use the rear view mirror camera at 80 mph?

I don't wear glasses, but my eyes won't adjust/focus fast enough to use the camera. I really like the view/display, but if I look forward for 15 seconds driving and glance at the mirror display it's blurry for a second or two. If I stare at it, it's fine. But that is all the time I glance at it doing interstate speed.

Now that I have the rear camera on an 8" screen, that is all I use to backup, along with the side mirrors. I feel all the camera views on a denali; GM has done an excellent job with. But that rearview camera is one I don't use.

Honestly, I've only been able to drive around the neighborhood a few times since I added it. When I drove to the mailbox and glanced in the mirror, it was a second for my eyes to adjust. I haven't gone highway speeds with the mirror yet, so I guess once I do, I will find out if I can safely use it. Lol, that would suck if it was too much of an issue to use on the highway.

Keep the topic updated with your findings. I thought it was just me. But my wife and niece don't like using it either. I haven't seen this rear view camera brought up in a post, to make me think of my impressions of it.

I tried to make myself get acclimated to using it a week straight, 4 or 5 times. I found myself using the side mirrors only.

Keep the topic updated with your findings. I thought it was just me. But my wife and niece don't like using it either. I haven't seen this rear view camera brought up in a post, to make me think of my impressions of it.

I tried to make myself get acclimated to using it a week straight, 4 or 5 times. I found myself using the side mirrors only.
I'll keep you updated when I can get some more use out of it.

I think it's a cool feature, but after a day, it feels more like a novelty, I hope that's not the case cause this sure wasn't cheap.

i also need to get used to the camera rear view it seems to vibrant and i am afraid of "watching it" so far i am just using standard rear view but want to get used to it.....

I got the chance to drive around a bit more this weekend, and hit the highway a bit. My eyes seem to adjust fine now. The only thing I really don't like, even after changing the zoom, when cars go to switch lanes behind and pass, it looks like they are to close to my side. If it was maybe a 1/2 inch longer on each side to accommodate a wider view I don't think it would give that perception. But overall, I think it's fairly functional.

GM can keep their digital rear view camera. I had a chance to remember using it at night, making a 4 hour parts chasing drive for the combine last night.

It is worse at night on the interstate, divided highway, etc. Headlights behind me, following at a normal distance, washes out the view, making it look like grease has been smeared on the mirror.

It's only purpose that I can find for it, is surveillance in parking lots during the summer.

let me sneak my half ton pickup in here and no one will notice my clandestine camera usage!!!

I pickup a Denali Gage cluster from a wreck 2020 GMC at a junk yard for $140 and sent it to WAMS and had it programed, install was easy enough, also did the Boost wireless charger another easy install, looking for the HD mirror now they aren't cheep

Back