3.0 = 30+ days in shop

Duramxdebacle

Oct 4, 2021
I have a Duramax 3.0 in my 2020 GMC Sierra with 58,000 miles. It's had 58000 miles on it for 40 days and counting and putting on no more because it's been in the shop since July.
Engine light came on and first dealer said it was wiring harness. It wasn't. Second dealer say's timing chains are loose ( I thought it was a belt). They say they have ordered 38 parts with 4 still on back order since September 1st. This motor is using oil also. Here's the rub. They have not opened up the motor to see what's wrong. The parts that are on back order can't be found and no one can tell me when they will get the parts. No curtesy vehicle was offered and when asked they are out of curtesy cars. So I'm out my payments on this truck as it sits at the dealership and have to supply another vehicle for myself to use as my truck sits under warranty at the shop with no date of when it'll be fixed.
I wonder if the reason for the halt on production is not because of parts but because the EPA is figuring out GMC lied on their EPA test. If the motor barely past the EPA when they are not using oil I wonder where they're at when it's using a quart or more every 1000 miles. I'm not a tree hugger but would like some truth on what's really going on with this motor. I have to say this experience with GM has not been satisfactory in the least.

Sorry to read.

The oil pump is the one driven by a belt.

What was the cel code, if'n you know? Was there any symptoms besides the ce light? There is a tsb for intakes that are in a small date code time frame that are bad, making the engine use oil, suppose to replace #3 injector at the same time.

The parts issue is only going to get worse. Ag and semi tires are hard to source right now. This summer, it was common bolts, don't know If'n that has changed. Oil filters for the 3.0 are on backorder, etc.

By the way, welcome to the site.

I see this was your first post, here. Your first post is to claim bragging rights, not walking.

By the way, welcome to the site.

I see this was your first post, here. Your first post is to claim bragging rights, not walking.
Yes thank you for the post. That was my first post on my third GMC Sierra Denali. I loved the GMC Sierra Denali with the 6.2L and loved the 3.0 until I was told (45days ago) I couldn’t drive it because of the engine but I still need to pay for it even though it’s under warranty and they can’t get parts for who knows how long. Oh and by the way, while your paying for the 2020 truck that is sitting at GMC shop, you’ll need to pay for another vehicle if you don’t want to walk. And once they figure out if they are going to recall all 3.0’s and or replace or if they get their Japanese parts in to finally fix the truck which maybe well into next year they might ( yes they told me might) reimburse you for the rental.
After literally spending $300,000+ on GM vehicles in the last 9 years you’d think they’d have some loyalty to their customers.
The only reason I am venting here is because you literally can’t get thru to customer service. When I called, the recording says up to a 45 minute wait. I waited 2hrs 35 minutes before I hung up and had to go back to work to pay for the two vehicles that you have to have when you own a Duramax 3.0.

i am not an expert but i would keep asking for supervisors until i found someone who can see this is a travesty. i once had a problem with Verizon took all day but i eventually got bumped up to a VP in New York who i am sure said "wtf am i talking to a residential user from Texas for!!" he was very nice and shortly there after people started moving fast and my problem went away. not saying GM will do anything but i would triple their phone support cost until someone gave me satisfaction.my advice is give them hell and good luck to you.

Seems odd that GM can get parts for the 5.3 and 6.2 motors and not the 3.0 Duramax. Ram is still manufacturing their small diesel for 1/2 ton trucks and haven't discontinued manufacturing them, wonder how they are able to get parts?

Yes it is odd that they don’t have parts. I believe it’s because they’re changing parts to solve issues and the parts haven’t been made or maybe not redesigned yet. Ford scrapped their small diesel and I’m wondering if GM is going to do the same.
Oh and yes I have escalated this up the line. First the GM “advisor” which gave no help in texting and then a call that lead nowhere. Then escalated to “special parts advisor” which had nothing after a week and said call back if you haven’t heard anything in a week.
So I called back and no news yet but I can call back in a week and check.
So yes sad to say I will most likely go with the lemon law/breach of warranty.
After 50 days and no one at GM can give an answer leaves a person with no choice.
On a sad note I believe it must be what GM wants. I’m sure they’ve got it figured out for what’s best for GM.

Ram is still manufacturing their small diesel for 1/2 ton trucks and haven't discontinued manufacturing them, wonder how they are able to get parts?

They're not. Many, many posts on Ram owners not getting EGR's, etc.

I have a Duramax 3.0 in my 2020 GMC Sierra with 58,000 miles. It's had 58000 miles on it for 40 days and counting and putting on no more because it's been in the shop since July.
Engine light came on and first dealer said it was wiring harness. It wasn't. Second dealer say's timing chains are loose ( I thought it was a belt). They say they have ordered 38 parts with 4 still on back order since September 1st. This motor is using oil also. Here's the rub. They have not opened up the motor to see what's wrong. The parts that are on back order can't be found and no one can tell me when they will get the parts. No curtesy vehicle was offered and when asked they are out of curtesy cars. So I'm out my payments on this truck as it sits at the dealership and have to supply another vehicle for myself to use as my truck sits under warranty at the shop with no date of when it'll be fixed.
I wonder if the reason for the halt on production is not because of parts but because the EPA is figuring out GMC lied on their EPA test. If the motor barely past the EPA when they are not using oil I wonder where they're at when it's using a quart or more every 1000 miles. I'm not a tree hugger but would like some truth on what's really going on with this motor. I have to say this experience with GM has not been satisfactory in the least.
Hi, any update to your situation?

Mine has been in the dealership for the past three weeks. DEF issues. First time, a hose replaced in Indiana, second time was an injector nozzle in NY, now really stuck in Cinci waiting for a new DEF tank to arrive. I am pretty certain I am going back to gas engines.

Back