Bed cargo light mod...

gemarsh

Nebraska, where the Dusty Denali Diesel's roam.
Staff member
Nov 25, 2020
Installed the gen5diy bed switch this weekend. It is and will be a handy feature to have at night.

The bed already had a .250" hole, just used a step bit to enlarge, to fit the switch.

20220114_123226.jpg

20220114_123231.jpg

I also installed a set of mid gate step lights. Just 2 simple mods that are on the cheap.

20220114_111907.jpg

I like it, and had the same thoughts. Just waiting on some warmer weather to go in there. I have some lights I'm going to get to put under the rails as well for some extra light.

Directly from the manufacturer. If I knew the connector for the light, a person could make it themselves for half...

The connector just makes it plug and play without having to splice or tap into the wiring. Could probably do it for 1/4 the price. Maybe what I would do is open the light itself and put the switch in the lens instead of drilling in the bed. Just have to drill through the light to pass through the positive wire to the trailer B+ connector. It would be self contained to the light and if needed, just need to replace the light to bring it back to stock. I hate drilling into sheet metal.

In the spring I might take this on.

... I hate drilling into sheet metal.

In the spring I might take this on.
I absolutely agree on drilling random holes.

I jumpped up and down like a little girl, when I saw gm supplied a pilot hole, actually 2....

20220118_111430.jpg

I checked and mine doesn't have this hole. I have the standard bed instead of the short bed so that could be the difference.

You are more than likely correct. My carbon pro short bed doesn't. This hole is on the 8' bed. I don't know what the other bed configurations look like.

I checked and mine doesn't have this hole. I have the standard bed instead of the short bed so that could be the difference.
If you like, I can come over when you aren't looking and make a pilot hole for you. That way you aren't drilling into sheet metal randomly! 😉

I have the same hole on my short bed 5'8"
Thanks for the info.

Having this hole is so much better than what gen5diy video shows of cutting an enormous hole in the bed.

If you like, I can come over when you aren't looking and make a pilot hole for you. That way you aren't drilling into sheet metal randomly! 😉
Uh, no thanks. Think I'll go with with my idea of a hole on the light 😁

Back