Blow by on 3.0?

bpommerening

Jun 16, 2021
When removing the main oil fill cap, with the truck running, does anyone else have what appears to be either, water vapor, exhaust, steam, etc. coming out of the fill cap opening? Same with the dip stick. Is this normal for this 3.0 Duramax? Dealer was not sure being this motor is fairly uncommon.

Thanks,

BP

Yup. That dipstick tube really pumps it out!

My 2020 blew out a front oil pan gasket. Dealership has ordered a new valve cover that is supposed to relieve the crank case pressure. They fixed the gasket but still waiting on the valve cover. 5 weeks now.

If we were still using old school down draft tubes instead of the pcv, everyone one of us would be complaining of excessive blowby.

My 2020 blew out a front oil pan gasket. Dealership has ordered a new valve cover that is supposed to relieve the crank case pressure. They fixed the gasket but still waiting on the valve cover. 5 weeks now.

Did they give you a loaner at least ?

My question is with the Rear Main seal leakage reported maybe internal pressure has something to do with it? Thinking about pulling my dipstick out a 1/8" wrap a piece of foam around it, Not sure how and what controls pcv system on this engine but would not surprise me if they went the way of many by electrically controlling it with a solenoid? But maybe a little less crank pressure is a good thing as long as no codes are triggered? I might play a bit for a week see what happens?

My question is with the Rear Main seal leakage reported maybe internal pressure has something to do with it? Thinking about pulling my dipstick out a 1/8" wrap a piece of foam around it, Not sure how and what controls pcv system on this engine but would not surprise me if they went the way of many by electrically controlling it with a solenoid? But maybe a little less crank pressure is a good thing as long as no codes are triggered? I might play a bit for a week see what happens?
2 days no codes or ill effects yet?

2 days no codes or ill effects yet?
What did you finally come up with to vent some crankcase pressure? Is it showing any sign of oil contamination?

I just pulled the dipstick out an inch and wrapped a piece of soft foam around and secured it with a zip tie, works like the old fashion breather in valve cover you could say like the early Duramax s vented to atmosphere. until the injectors cracked and the vents let the fuel come out of a full crankcase, lol.

17 days with foam around dipstick and leaving dipstick vent to atmosphere, Piece of foam looks clean and no oil residue on it yet? will continue and see what happens, 3,500 more miles for an oil change due, and will do oil sample also the same time, as that will be 2nd oil change after switching to Amsoil.
Would love to set up a go pro camera under the hood and see what it looks like under the hood at 60mph looking at the dipstick pulled out 1.5" with the foam around it?

Back