DEF

Not so much miles but gallons of diesel. My truck used about 1.9% DEF to diesel by volume. Not alot of towing either. I just looked, about 2900 miles before I added 2.5gal DEF.

I'm at 4000K miles, and still shows 50% full. I usually add a 2.5 each oil change in my previous DEF equipped trucks.

Thx guys, Im new to DEF and Ive heard DEF has a shelf life and also freezes. So is it better to keep it full or run it down and fill. I dont put a lot of miles on, maybe 10,000 yr.

update i got in a hurry and just took on fuel last stop. this morning a screen poped up on the dash saying 1000 miles left of DEF and started counting down. had no idea it would do that.currently about 6500 miles

update i got in a hurry and just took on fuel last stop. this morning a screen poped up on the dash saying 1000 miles left of DEF and started counting down. had no idea it would do that.currently about 6500 miles

In my previous truck, sometimes it would say 1000 miles, then 100 miles later your down to the 500 miles warning.

update had the dealer change the oil and fill the DEF tank yesterday. they left it two bars short of full but comped the entire visit should i say something? should i go ahead and fill it myself to keep it in sync with the oil changes? i think that was the intent to need DEF about the same time you need an oil change not 100 percent on that but i could swear i heard one of the designers say that in a video.

IBM presents YOU make the call!

Thanks

You can add/update whenever the def is needed. If you want to track amount used per oil changed I guess keeping it full on each change would help with that, otherwise don't worry!

I was talking to some other guys that have DEF trucks. Two of them said that when they use the cheaper blue DEF the have to fill up more often than when they use the DEF pump at Royal Farms. Any of you guys finding the same thing?? One of them said its 1000 mile difference.

DEF is def, I don't see how.. but interesting to say the least.

update had the dealer change the oil and fill the DEF tank yesterday. they left it two bars short of full but comped the entire visit should i say something? should i go ahead and fill it myself to keep it in sync with the oil changes? i think that was the intent to need DEF about the same time you need an oil change not 100 percent on that but i could swear i heard one of the designers say that in a video.

IBM presents YOU make the call!

Thanks
This is the way it is designed due to the EPA regulations spicifically stating that DEF must be a maintenance item that will need to be filled on a regular basis. So they designed it to last about the same as an oil change. Of course that is based on the vehicles oil life monitor. Many people do oil changes based on their own preference which will get the correlation of the two fluids in difference.

Back