Early troubles

MikeTN

Oct 30, 2020
Hey guys, I thought I loved my 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 3.0L diesel, it has plenty of towing power but VERY thirsty on DEF when towing. I have 7000 miles on it and I bought it in late June 2020. I have been struggling with visits to the service department at the local GMC dealer. The check engine light frequently comes on followed by a loud roar of the engine fan then the message "Service Emissions System" and then it tells me how many miles until it is going to reduce my speed. First trip they couldn't find anything, second trip they said that it was a loose wire and they fixed the problem, 200 miles later same problem. This third trip they say I need a "new pipe with a sensor in it" I am assuming NOX sensor? They say they can't find the part anywhere. In addition, when I tow my 6000 pound travel trailer this truck drinks DEF like crazy. I was having to fill the DEF tank every other diesel fill when towing! I ended up always keeping 5 gallons of DEF with me so I would not run out on the highway and lose power. In addition, the DEF gauge is NOT accurate. So my truck is currently at the dealer waiting for the part with no estimated time of completion. They don't want me to drive it so they gave me a loaner car, Buick Encore, sorry, not the same as a truck! I have been a Chevy/GMC guy for many years and have had both diesel and gas engines with no problems at all. This one is not great...research before you buy, especially if you are going to tow, you may want to buy DEF by the barrel! Thanks for letting me vent! Anybody else experiencing these issues?

Welcome Mike!

Honestly, the biggest reports of trouble have been DEF usage and some oil consumption. Seems like you're a lucky one with the DEF.

Now, as far as your issues, welcome to the modern diesel. Unfortunately, it happens to them all. Perhaps the dealer can just replace the entire DEF system to hopefully solve your issue?

So far, I've been lucky on my diesels. I'm on my 5th Duramax truck right now, including multiple owned by family and friends and I can only count 1 or 2 that's been in for emissions. So it does happen.. let's hope your dealer takes care of it and gets you on your way ASAP!

Thank you for your comments. Right now not huge confidence in the dealer service dept, I think that I may need to educate them some, although I certainly don't know all the answers. I will let everyone know what happens.
Also, looking for a good deal on DEF in a 50 gallon barrel! :)

Twice within the first 6000 miles my check engine light has come on with the 'Service Emmision System' message. First time at about 2000 miles the service department apparently just reset it the system and no issues until 4000 miles later, hopefully the second time they fix the problem.

So after 23 days in the shop they finally got the part. The part is an EGR Differential Exhaust Pressure Sensor. Very likely @btmiah this is your problem. The symptoms that you are having is exactly what I was having. Tell your dealer to replace the EGR Differential Exhaust Pressure Sensor. I suspect that will fix your problem.
Let us know how it goes.

Back