Engine Oil Analisis results?

rbdjr

Jun 23, 2021
Just sent out an oil sample 9,000 miles on the truck, (GM Dexos D 0w-20), Factory oil and filter 1000miles, at 4000miles Dexos D and an AC DELCO UPF66R Gold filter, at 9000miles took a sample and here are results.
Gonna wait for 5,000 miles more and send a sample in again, now running Amsoil and Wix filter0w-20 running Amsoil.

My 1rst sample results returned(Dexos D 0W-20) saying all ok except IRON #36, not sure why and how? If it means anything? Of course, I'm concerned a bit. I will attach a readout if anyone can provide me some insight I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

2021 Chevy RST 4x4 crew, 3,0L 9,000miles

Attachments

• ENGINE-OIL-2%2011%2023%2021.pdf
    326.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Since it is the first sample, the iron is likely due to break in as the rings and cylinders wear into each other. I'm surprised the comments didn't mention this.

Your second one will be more telling as to the health of the engine.

My concern with the high iron count is this was 3rd oil change in 9000 miles, (yes overkill for sure)the first change at 1000 miles used a DELCO UPF66R Gold
filter and 7 quarts GM Dexos D 0w-20 oil. 2nd change at 5000 miles, used DELCO UPF66R Gold oil filter and 7 quarts GM DEXOS D 0W-20.
3rd change was at 9000 miles and a sample was taken. and results posted above. After the sample, I have switched to 7 quarts Amsoil Synthetic Diesel Oil SAE 0W-20 (DP020QT-EA) and WIX WL10351 oil filter, will wait for 4000 miles and resample. see what happens.
I'm thinking after 3 oil changes the break-in particles should have been flushed out ? We will see. I have seen other samples with higher iron content, and also have heard people say they have oil consumption problems.

My oil changes have been almost identical to yours with mileage between changes and oils used. While my iron count is a bit lower, Blackstone acted as if it all looked good. Maybe the guy doing your sample didn’t see that you were breaking in a new engine?

Attachments

• 95D621E7-EED6-4E20-A458-0FE8A7C677C7.jpeg
    95D621E7-EED6-4E20-A458-0FE8A7C677C7.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 9
They even said you could go another 2000 miles on your next fill so that says the oil is lasting well. Blackstone seems to have an actual personalized report while the other one more generic without actual insights of comparison to other 3.0L Duramax's.

One thing we have to remember is this is a synthetic oil and break in might be longer than if we were to run dino oil for the break in. I remember the old discussions about using regular oil for the break in so the rings could wear into the cylinders more quickly. This could be the case of an extended break in.

Had a 454 in a 97 3/4 ton gmc Suburban. Dumped oil at 500 miles. Went to the new, as of then, mobile 1 synthetic. Wipe 3 cam lobes before 45k. Blamed it on the synthetic. But gm had a rash of soft cams in that era, also.

I could agree with mooseman.

They even said you could go another 2000 miles on your next fill so that says the oil is lasting well. Blackstone seems to have an actual personalized report while the other one more generic without actual insights of comparison to other 3.0L Duramax's.

One thing we have to remember is this is a synthetic oil and break in might be longer than if we were to run dino oil for the break in. I remember the old discussions about using regular oil for the break in so the rings could wear into the cylinders more quickly. This could be the case of an extended break in.
I changed the oil after this sample at a little over 6800 miles. I’ve got amsoil in it with wix filter now and will send in another sample at 7k miles to see how it compares to the delco

Back