Interested in the 3.0 Duramax

gmcyukonguy

Sep 5, 2021
Hi,
I'm looking to hopefully buy a GMC vehicle with the 3.0 Duramax, so I want to learn of any issues and good benefits from the motor.
Thanks for allowing me to join.

Welcome! It's a good motor, still early, but all indications point to a pretty solid platform. A few quirks here with the real main seal leaking, and the occasionally no start issue (hopefully fixed via an update soon).

Welcome.
You don't list a location. If'n this is your first diesel, you will want to read supplemental owners manual before freeze up. The manual says to use gm's winter additive in the fuel. But you can use a name brand treatment every fill-up. They pretty much all work.

Some have reported that plugging the block heater in above 0°F, will cause the cooling fans to ramp up to full-speed, until it completely cools down.

The PF66 oil filter is on backorder and is commanding scalpers prices, if you can find them. As with alot of items in this country.

There is an issue with the main oil seal on some early production motors.

The motor has been taken off the build order sheet. Supply issues as with alot of items in this country.

I personally have not had any issues or problems. The motor does everything I need it to for a half ton and more, while getting outstanding mileage.

Welcome.
You don't list a location. If'n this is your first diesel, you will want to read supplemental owners manual before freeze up. The manual says to use gm's winter additive in the fuel. But you can use a name brand treatment every fill-up. They pretty much all work.

Some have reported that plugging the block heater in above 0°F, will cause the cooling fans to ramp up to full-speed, until it completely cools down.

The PF66 oil filter is on backorder and is commanding scalpers prices, if you can find them. As with alot of items in this country.

There is an issue with the main oil seal on some early production motors.

The motor has been taken off the build order sheet. Supply issues as with alot of items in this country.

I personally have not had any issues or problems. The motor does everything I need it to for a half ton and more, while getting outstanding mileage.
Thanks for the reply, I looked at how to put it in my location, but couldn't figure it out, any hints would be most helpful, I'm not of Dayton Oh, not too far.
I'm not in a huge hurry to buy one, hoping to get last year models, 2021 if they knock off a lot since the new models will be coming off, if not already, have to wait and see if the motor will be coming in the vehicles, maybe rare to find one?

Thanks for the reply, I looked at how to put it in my location, but couldn't figure it out, any hints would be most helpful, I'm not of Dayton Oh, not too far...

This is a screenshot of what I see on my android phone. If you see something like this, you can click on the icon. It will take you to your account, then you can add and adjust your preferences, settings, add a avatar, etc...

Screenshot_20210906-143154_Samsung Internet.jpg

I feel very lucky to have gotten mine. I basically purchased it while it was still in transit to the dealer. Loving it so far...

Back