Interesting news from GM regarding Dealers overcharging for vehicles...

They should be.. when I see a dealer marking trucks up in this market I will never walk in that dealership.. ever.

Agreed. Haven't heard of this practice being a problem in Canada, apparently it was more rampant in the US. Some openly admitted to adding dealer markups above MSRP just because they could. If my dealer would have done that, I would have told them to shove it.

When I put my deposit on mine, they were basically locked into that price, which was basically MSRP. However I was able to get that lowered by having them delete the useless VIN security marking twice (long story) and they had forgotten to add the destination charge on the offer because the salesman that made the offer had left so I took advantage of the changeover. Also didn't buy any extras at all in the F&I office, which are all overpriced and useless. Also got a killer 0.9% financing over 6 years and a GM Heroes discount of $1000 as a retired police officer.

I tried buying my wife a new Tahoe and most places I called were asking 5K to 9500 over asking, yes, 9 thousand dollars!!

i remember the finance office it went something like this

Salesman: would you like an extended warranty?
me: yes very much
Salesman: OK we have a bunch of plans to look at.
me: by definition a warranty is offered by the manufacture
Salesman: would you like an extended service contract?
me: no
Salesman: have a nice day

Yeah, they are slimy bastards. He kept on about how expensive the dashboard and A/C compressor were expensive. "Oh, do you expect them to fail?". No, no, just in case... For just $39.99 per month you can have that peace of mind. "How much is the TOTAL cost of that?" $4200. Yeah, I can buy a lot of compressors and dashboards for that amount of money :LOL:

I used a lot of the advice from YAA on YouTube. He's a retired dealer that talks about all the tricks of the trade and how to avoid them. They also have an ex-F&I manager that explains all their tricks and pitfalls. They will even, for a fee, be on a conference call with you when you are in the F&I office during the negotiations. Highly recommend them. Watched hours of their videos.

Back