Opinions on the 3.0

Newguy

May 23, 2021
In the market for a new truck. Currently driving a f150 5.0 and absolutely love it, but it's got a lot of miles and it's time for something new. With everything going on ford won't negotiate or take money off the price, so I'm switching to gm. I was unimpressed with the 5.3, and I really don't want to pay the extra for the 6.2, put premium in it, and still only average 18 mpg. Brings me to the diesel, which I am starting to love from the videos and information I'm finding about it online. Seems to be the real deal. But I want to hear your thoughts since you have first hand experience.

I live in a rural area and I am a remodeling contractor and will use this as a lighter duty runner truck, and a personal truck. I drive about 25k miles a year. It will tow 5-8k pounds for about 5-6k miles a year. Which my 5.0 (3.73 rear axle) had been doing fine for a long time. But I would imagine the 3.0 would pull the wheels off the 5.0. In my personal time I do a lot of hunting, fishing, camping, and driving. I pull a 4200 pound (empty) TT. So my two main concerns are this, the reliability of the 3.0 and the 3.23 rear axle. I understand the 10 speed will help this, but does it struggle to get off the line and up to speed with the kind of weight I'm towing? We have a 2018 chevy 5.3, max tow and 3.42 axle. It holds its gears well, but it can't get up to speed to save its life. That has been very annoying. Anybody towing this type of weight routinely with this set up?

I priced out an ltz which the dealer can get sooner than an rst. Sharp looking, smooth truck. Just wondering if you guys who have had these have any input on the towing or my driving use. I would think the diesel would be ideal. Let me know what you guys think, any input is appreciated. Thank you.

I wouldn't hesitate. Just beware, if you live in a cold climate, there are extra steps if you are new to the diesel world.

Welcome! The 6.2 is totally worth the extra bump in horsepower and the fuel economy difference is not much when compared to a 5.3. It's just worth the upgrade if you're shopping for a gas truck.

As far as the 3.0, if anyone has had issues it's been mostly emissions. Which happens on all modern diesels now. But you have a warranty for that. A few have reported the real main seal leak.. but again, it's covered and not all trucks have that issue. That weight wouldn't be an issue for any modern day half-ton truck honestly, and with the torque curve of that 3.0.. it'll be perfect.

An inline 6 designed from a clean sheet of paper and then a truck built around it. if that is not the recipe for success i don't know what is. i wish i could say that they got everything perfect but they did not. Keep in mind i had a RAM parking only sign on order when i went to test drive. In fairness i only drove Ford, Chevy, RAM, and the GMC all are beautiful trucks but driving that Denali it was a measurable step above the Silverado which was a measurable step better than everything else diesel. it is the difference between having to go to the store and getting to take your truck to the store. it is very difficult to put on paper what becomes obvious after two minuets behind the wheel is the GMC better than the other trucks? maybe yes maybe no but if you truly like it better it is to you. Plus i found a whole web sight of people who seem to agree with me.

Haha, ..."going to the store and getting to take your truck to the store"...

I feel you.

Thanks for the replies! I'm gonna go for it. I think that 3.0 will be awesome for what I'm going to use it for. I live in Wisconsin so there will be a little getting used to it, but my f150 has a block heater that I always use when it's 0 degrees or below. Do you guys know what the cost of the oil changes will be if I have it done by the dealer? I've always done my own, but the business has taken off in the last few years and I don't want to take the time anymore.

I would get the oil yourself and filter and go through a nice quick lube. My local one have some good guys and charge me $25 labor to change mine. I watch them but changing the oil isn’t a hard job. Beats me getting dirty.... 😀

Back