Rear main seal

It turns out that my oil filter was leaking. I usually do my own oil changes but the first one was included so I let the dealer do it. They told me that there was a small hole in the oil filter. I asked how that happened and they said it was over torgued. How does that happen with an oil filter? They changed the oil and filter but I know I was several quarts low and I had to drive about 50 miles home like that since you can not buy the DEXOS-D oil anywhere but the dealer. I have never had an oil filter leak in my 56 years. Motor sounds fine but I will be doing all my own service for now on. (Whenever possible)
I usually change my own oil but I had my free oil change /tire rotation done at my local dealer 2 weeks ago. Booked online and chose the "I want to wait" option. Told Service Writer I had a Stahlbus Oil Change Valve installed, and gave him the valve fitting with the tube to give to the tech performing the service. Well long story short, I waited over 3 hours for my oil change and tire rotation. Needless to say I was pissed. What is the point of an "I want to wait" option? When I finally got the truck back I noticed the Stahlbus drain tube I had given to the writer was still clean. It had not been used.
A few days later and I notice oil spots in my garage. Called and left a message with the service writer. NO RESPONSE. Finally, I got under my truck only to find the not only had the tech not used the drain valve, he obviously had totally removed the valve to drain the oil, and then neglected to even re-tighten it upon reinstallation. The oil drain valve was only finger tight - I was able to easily turn it by hand. No wonder it was leaking. I was now doubly pissed and wrote an angry email to every person I could find at the dealership.
Same day, I received an apologetic call from the GM stating that there is no way this should ever have happened, and that he personally was going to call both the service writer and the tech on the carpet. Gave me the next oil change free (big deal) and said he wanted to meet me at that time. Not sure if I will take him up on the free oil change or not...

Last edited:
I have a 2020 Silverado with 91700 miles on it. Since about 40000 miles they told me there was a small oil leak. Finally at about 70000 they did a dye test and I was told it’s a rear main seal. When I took it in to replace it, they said they weren’t sure it’s that. So we did another dye test. Same result. Then we scheduled the time to replace the seal for 1/17. Meanwhile the service writer that was working with retired! I dropped the truck off, and called for an update today, and I was told that they wanted to do another dye test because they weren’t sure where the leak is from. All that while I was renting another vehicle. GM doesn’t provide a loaner right now. I feel like the dealer is just wasting my time.
There’s also a coolant leak. The small reservoir keeps going empty. They did several pressure test and “couldn’t find” a leak.
I love the truck overall, but I’m not happy with their service.

If it's under warranty, they should provide a loaner while you are unable to use yours. This dealer sounds like a douche. I'd go somewhere else.

There’s also a coolant leak. The small reservoir keeps going empty. They did several pressure test and “couldn’t find” a leak.
I love the truck overall, but I’m not happy with their service.
The small reservoir? The smaller of the two? Is your up-pipe wet on the inside? The smaller of the 2, is the intercooler circuit.

Back