Rear Sag Towing

Mike B

May 13, 2022
Anyone have any rear sag towing? Thoughts on installing airlift bags? Have 500 mile trip pulling 4000# car.

The rear suspension is pretty soft I must say... I've only hooked a 16ft utility trailer with a Kubota Side by Side on it and it was a nice sag.. most guys love the airlift bags. If you're towing often go for it.

Anyone have any rear sag towing? Thoughts on installing airlift bags? Have 500 mile trip pulling 4000# car.
I had the Airlift system installed on ours, eliminates all the sag but if you take to the dealer for anything suspension related be prepaired for the inevitable: " We couldn't duplicate condition with the notation of Customer has aftermarket suspension "

I tow a 6500# RV trailer with 900# tongue weight and she's level as can be. Using an Equalizer weight distributing hitch. That's what you really need.

I tow a 6500# RV trailer with 900# tongue weight and she's level as can be. Using an Equalizer weight distributing hitch. That's what you really need.

We have the weight distribution hitch and it is set up for tongue height of trailer with it level. Pulls better with the Airlift system in our xperience.
Our Elevation no longer has the 2.5" factory rake so without the Airlift it does squat in the rear even with the load leveling hitch and bars ( before taking rake out, truck would be dead level with camper attached ); 865# tongue weight 28ft camper. 32ft tongue to tail overall. The Rancho shock/strut package on these trucks suck in my opinion. Will be installing Bilstein 5100's before too long.

I’ve run air helper bags on several trucks and will be putting a set on this one too, I love the ability to level the truck no matter what’s in the back or on the hitch, I do more weight in the box work than trailer pulling so an equalizer hitch won’t work for me. I’ve also levelled it so any weight at all in the back and it sags, With a couple hundred lbs or so in the box I find it bottoms out on bumps on the highway… in fact I might order a kit right now 😂

I’ve also never noticed a degradation in ride with minimal air in the bags and an empty truck. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I ended up putting the Roadmaster active suspension on my elevation X31 and like it. It did raise the rear a bit so put more rake in it but only stiffened it up empty so it rides well and not like a 70's cadillac. Now just need to put the billstiens in the front to get it a little more level. Did help with sag from the camper.

Back