Three weeks in the shop and waiting...

Oceandiver

Apr 9, 2022
I have a 2021 3.0. My second successive Silverado. First was a 2020 and I loved that truck, drove 65,000 miles and traded in on a 2021, which has essentially not worked from the beginning, DEF speed limiting alarms. First dealer visit said it was a DEF system hose, took a month to get it, replaced, same problem. Next dealer said it was a DEF injector, waited another month, replaced it, same problem. On my third dealer, now they are replacing the DEF tank (3 weeks and waiting).
I am pretty sure I am going to trade this truck in for a gas version. Does anyone know if a sufficient amount of complaining might afford me some sort of special discount for the grief?

I'm sorry to say, but it sounds like the dealer is just throwing parts at it. Your best bet is to open a case with GM.

I have a 2021 3.0. My second successive Silverado. First was a 2020 and I loved that truck, drove 65,000 miles and traded in on a 2021, which has essentially not worked from the beginning, DEF speed limiting alarms. First dealer visit said it was a DEF system hose, took a month to get it, replaced, same problem. Next dealer said it was a DEF injector, waited another month, replaced it, same problem. On my third dealer, now they are replacing the DEF tank (3 weeks and waiting).
I am pretty sure I am going to trade this truck in for a gas version. Does anyone know if a sufficient amount of complaining might afford me some sort of special discount for the grief?
Had a 2021 with 3 liter diesel.work truck so ignored check engine lites .finally lost power bunch of warnings so traded it in with 24k miles .got almost all my $ back with trade in on 22 trail boss with 5.3.happy to be rid of it but loved the power and gas mileage

I’ve had great luck on 5.3 in my wife’s 2018 Yukon XL .luckily found a 2022 just off a transporter so we go 50 k on that one then see.the 2018 retained 90 percent of its value so we playing with house money

Well I just drove from Ottawa to Long Island on just half a tank of fuel. Haven't had a single issue except for the CNS which was quickly fixed. Ignoring an engine light on these is just asking for trouble.

Since you don't own one of these anymore, why are you here?

Well I just drove from Ottawa to Long Island on just half a tank of fuel. Haven't had a single issue except for the CNS which was quickly fixed. Ignoring an engine light on these is just asking for trouble.

Since you don't own one of these anymore, why are you here?
I’ve owned 20 new Chevy trucks continuously since 1989.I’ve never had any serious issues with any all that time.I just took delivery of a 22 1500 zr2 sand dune color which I love.I swore by my 3 liter diesel for months.I hope to own another after all these issues are resolved.best of luck with yours

I hope to own another after all these issues are resolved.best of luck with yours

I fail to see "all of these issues". Overall they are pretty solid trucks. I do wish parts weren't so hard to find so the consumers aren't waiting at the dealer for weeks and sometimes months it seems, but you're going to see that with all auto manufactures right now.

Yep. Supply issues everywhere, not just the auto industry. On the gasser side, GM is having supply issues for replacement DOD valve lifters. On the other GM truck forum I'm on, someone was fixing his failed DOD and had to use an aftermarket lifter. It shouldn't be a problem as he will disable that useless and trouble prone system.

Sorry to hear some people have had so many issues with their trucks. Best of luck with the ZR2. 6.2 should be a good engine. After this LM2, I don’t plan on ever owning a gas fed truck again. Time will tell. 31k miles I’m still happy.

As my 3.0 spends its' 5th week at the dealership, today GM told me they have no desire to help. After about 20 calls over the past 5 weeks, I finally got something definitive out of them, even though it was not what I wanted, or expected, to hear. They refuse to offer any assistance toward trading this truck in for something that works. My Customer Support contact wouldn't even give me his last name, he says for security reasons GM will not give the customer their last names. This about sums up GM...pissing people off so badly that it is their policy not to identify themselves. I have never heard of a company conducting business this way.
So I will wait, as long as it takes, to get the truck back and immediately dispose of it for something other than a GM product. I see now they are replacing the engine in their lineup with a new version, after just two years. I don't see how any current owner of this truck/engine can be comfortable with what they have.
As the history of the truck falls well within Ohio's Lemon laws, I am going to pursue this angle as well. If anyone knows of a good attorney, or wants to join me in the effort, let me know.
Finally, ending my rant, nothing good comes from government bailouts. The $50 billion + GM sucked up from the government simply created a monster that should have been allowed to go away when "survival of the fittest" was in play.

As my 3.0 spends its' 5th week at the dealership, today GM told me they have no desire to help. After about 20 calls over the past 5 weeks, I finally got something definitive out of them, even though it was not what I wanted, or expected, to hear. They refuse to offer any assistance toward trading this truck in for something that works. My Customer Support contact wouldn't even give me his last name, he says for security reasons GM will not give the customer their last names. This about sums up GM...pissing people off so badly that it is their policy not to identify themselves. I have never heard of a company conducting business this way.
So I will wait, as long as it takes, to get the truck back and immediately dispose of it for something other than a GM product. I see now they are replacing the engine in their lineup with a new version, after just two years. I don't see how any current owner of this truck/engine can be comfortable with what they have.
As the history of the truck falls well within Ohio's Lemon laws, I am going to pursue this angle as well. If anyone knows of a good attorney, or wants to join me in the effort, let me know.
Finally, ending my rant, nothing good comes from government bailouts. The $50 billion + GM sucked up from the government simply created a monster that should have been allowed to go away when "survival of the fittest" was in play.
Hey, you should visit my other forum if you want to see a real problem:

ecodieselram.com

Otherwise, enjoy whatever new ride you buy!

They all have their problems. The new tundra and waste gate solenoid. Ram and that gawd aweful 8 speed trans not to mention the eco diesel. I also had a ‘14 Silverado with 5.3. After 70k. I burned a quart of oil every 5k. I had computer issues that locked the steering wheel in place while I was moving. Air conditioning condenser went bad at 65k. Radiator has a pin hole leak. But the thing that ended that truck for me was metal shavings on the drain plug magnet the last two oil changes. The ‘06 Silverado with the 5.3 I owned before that had 235k on it and ZERO issues. The older you get, the more vehicles you have and the likely hood of getting a bad one(s) goes up. Still won’t own a ford truck. Just can’t do it.

Back