Towing Capacity Concerns

bcobb913

Dec 7, 2020
Hello,
I am in the process of deciding whether to buy the GMC with the I6 in it....but balking at the towing capacity. Im looking at a 2020 GMC 1500 Sierra Denali 4x4 short bed which has listed tow capacity of 9,000 lbs. Tested the truck over the weekend and really like it, especially mpg. But looking to buy a 25-30' travel camper that could weigh anywhere between 5,500 - 7,500 lbs dry. Add in 500-700 lbs of stuff and I could be pushing the limit. Only plan on a couple of long trips across the country per year but we are talking 2-4,000 mile trips. I would hate to spend this much dough and have a terrible time pulling the camper on the road. Anyone out there doing this now with this smaller diesel? Or any input would great. Thanks!

I have a 2020 Sierra AT4 1500 with the DuraMax. I pull a Coachman Adrenaline 19CB. Dry Wt. is 6,230lbs. Loaded up with Motorcycle it weighed 7,235lbs on my last trip. Traveled to Northern Michigan (Petoskey) pretty hilly, averaged 12mpg. Does a good job at 60mph will go as fast as you dare on the flat and level. I have 5,000 miles on the truck 2,000 miles towing the trailer, average mpg is 21 best is 30.cropped.jpg

Hello,
I am in the process of deciding whether to buy the GMC with the I6 in it....but balking at the towing capacity. Im looking at a 2020 GMC 1500 Sierra Denali 4x4 short bed which has listed tow capacity of 9,000 lbs. Tested the truck over the weekend and really like it, especially mpg. But looking to buy a 25-30' travel camper that could weigh anywhere between 5,500 - 7,500 lbs dry. Add in 500-700 lbs of stuff and I could be pushing the limit. Only plan on a couple of long trips across the country per year but we are talking 2-4,000 mile trips. I would hate to spend this much dough and have a terrible time pulling the camper on the road. Anyone out there doing this now with this smaller diesel? Or any input would great. Thanks
I bought a 2020 Silverado 1500 z71 with the diesel engine last summer. I rented a 34 ft trailer to take the family on a camping trip. My wife had never been camping before and she wanted to try it out. The truck had no problem pulling it. We have 5 kids and were loaded down pretty heavy. I never had time to get to the scale to weigh everything but the dry weight on the trailer was 7800 lbs so I think we would have been 8800 ish. The only thing I would do if I were to buy a trailer like that and go on a regular basis is install air bags. The trailer did squat the rear end of the truck down a bit and air bags would have leveled it out

Back