Voltage Gauge

H82looz

Apr 14, 2022
Has anyone ever kept an eye on the voltage gauge while driving? I’m seeing it fluctuate from what looks like 12V (seems like it’s there most of the time) and it will will rise to 14V for a few seconds and then drop back down to 12V. I don’t ‘recall’ it doing this when I first picked it up new a month and a half ago but I also didn’t really pay that close attention. Every time I looked at the gauge it seemed to be straight up at 14V (that I recall) when I first picked it up. The truck sat in a parking lot in Fort Wayne for almost 8 months waiting to get finished off with chips, etc, etc.

Mine varies from around 12 to over 14-15. Sometimes I can watch it go up or down. Doesn’t seem to be any reason.

Same here but stayed mostly above 12V when it was colder. All vehicles since mid-2000's have charging controls, known as SARVC, that limits charging voltage when it's not needed to extend battery life. You can override this when you put it in tow/haul mode to charge trailer batteries.

Yea, looks like it didn’t drop below 12, still well within the 2 ‘marked’ line operating zone limits. Was just wondering if this was normal and others were seeking this because to be honest I have never noticed this on any other vehicles I have owned, they usually stayed at like 13V or so consistently.

These trucks have a smart electrical system in them where the alternator output voltage will varie depending on the required load. it is totally normal for the gauge to show fluctuations from battery voltage ~12V up to around 15.6V.

Reactions: Leo
Back