Extended crank but no start issue

Have you experienced a ECNS

• Total voters

gemarsh

Nebraska, where the Dusty Denali Diesel's roam.
Staff member
Nov 25, 2020
I might be tempting fate here, but I cannot keep up with all these ECNS posts...no way can my truck be the only one exempt with this bug.

Maybe it's true...Nebraska, the good life.

That was what I was thinking. Maybe my 21 (build date 10-22-20) got the last good, non-rushed to build, chips put it to her? 😇

That was what I was thinking. Maybe my 21 (build date 10-22-20) got the last good, non-rushed to build, chips put it to her? 😇
Bought my GMC Sierra 1500 Denali late April this year and concerned that it will develop this no start issue also. I'd think GM would issue a recall to check all 3.0 diesel engines manufactured in 2021 for this no-start issue in the future.

I followed the posts about EC/NS issue, and hoped against hope that it would not happen to me. Also, I never posted in the threads for fear of jinxing myself. Well, yesterday, it happened. My 2021 Sierra 1500 LM2, with a warm engine, experienced the EC/NS. Crap! 724 miles on the vehicle, 3 weeks old. And just like all the others, it fired right up on the second try. I immediately drove to the dealer, which was only 3 blocks away, and had them document the issue. The service manager said they had only seen one other case, and they reflashed the guy's computer. I guess I will have them do the same when I take mine in for the free first oil change, although I really do not expect it to resolve the issue. Meanwhile, I keep following these EC/NS threads....

I might be tempting fate here, but I cannot keep up with all these ECNS posts...no way can my truck be the only one exempt with this bug.

Maybe it's true...Nebraska, the good life.
It’s happened to me 3 times. I thought I was doing something wrong!!!

I took mine to the dealer. GM has a bulletin out for it now. They had to order a part and said they’ll fix it next week.

If they ordered the cam sensor shim let us know if it fixed the condition of Crank No Start?

I've read that GM has installed the cam sensor shim on a few vehicles and the problem reappeared again. Hopefully after they make the repairs it resolves the problem. Will be interesting to find out if it fixed the long crank no start issue!

It was the cam sensor shim they ordered. They were not sure about my problem. They said normally it will throw a code and mine had no codes.

Can anyone find this GM bulletin?

PIP5823A: Intermittent Extended Crank No Start - (Oct 1, 2021)

Took my 21 in for a oil change, mentioned I had ecns 5 or 6 times. They reflashed the ecm and referenced document# 5907607 from GM.

Took my 21 in for a oil change, mentioned I had ecns 5 or 6 times. They reflashed the ecm and referenced document# 5907607 from GM.
Welcome. Report back if'n you experience another ecns, please.

You from NE?

My neighbor has a 2021 Chevrolet Silverado and the dealership told him that when he brings it in for its first oil change they'll reflash his ecm. Curious if this is going to be a fix for ecns versus installing camshaft position sensor shim.

Just had my built in May,2021 reflashed. I had two no starts with less than 800 miles on it, reflashed at 1020 miles.
We will see what happens.

Back