2021 3.0 Duramax 1500 Towing

Kwalk1959

Jul 25, 2021
The towing capacity is 9500lbs. Does a Fifth Wheel allow any difference? What would be the heaviest fifth wheel I could haul without sitting on my tires ??
Thx
Keith

Your door jamb tag will give you your numbers for tongue weight (5th wheel pin) and max trailer weight.

Looks like this...

20211217_104324.jpg

I went out last night and did not see that. I will look today. Thx
I also saw on youtube that 2022 1500 will have a tow capacity of 13000. Anyone know what they are changing to get that??

2x4? Regular cab? it's based on the build or curb weight. I think gm increased the cooling capacity, mostly.

2x4? Regular cab? it's based on the build or curb weight. I think gm increased the cooling capacity, mostly.
I did a search and it also says they increased the rear springs, 373 rear and 20" wheels to get there.
I found my sticker. Its silver like my truck so I didnt see it. It says 9200 trailer and 7400 goose neck. That just doesnt make sence to me. Putting the weight up in the bed should allow more not less.

I think if you add the tongue and trailer weights together for each style of trailer, (bumper or gooseneck), they come pretty close.

Difference might be the gooseneck plate that has to be mounted? I don't know how they come up with the numbers for the 1500's that they do.

You have to have the max tow package to tow that much and that also according to your particular truck's configuration. The tow rating goes down when you add 4x4 and a regular or long bed instead of the short bed. And to get to that rating, they probably added bigger brakes to meet SAE tow rating tests.

Trailer testing used to be subjective to each OEM but now is standardized using SAE J2807 and it's a pretty demanding test that trucks must meet to be certified for a particular tow weight rating.

Any of you guys use a gooseneck to fifth wheel adapter? Is it stable? How does it compare to a fifth wheel for RV hauling? Im reading its much lighter and the hitch is hidden.
Keith

Back