3.0 Duramax I6 oil filter, AC Delco

rbdjr

Jun 23, 2021
Anyone use the ACDelco Specialty - Ultraguard Gold Engine Oil Filter Part No. UPF66R, instead of the standard PF66 filter?
Was told it's the heavy-duty version of the PF66 and was told its a better choice?

The following from the manufacture on the catalog page.

An ACDelco Gold (Specialty) Ultraguard Oil Filter provides outstanding protection for demanding uses, such as racing, off-road, and heavy duty truck applications. With 98% multi-pass efficiency at 25-30 microns and burst-strength that is five times greater than normal engine oil operating pressures (as long as the normal engine oil operating pressure is not greater than 51psi), the ACDelco Gold (Specialty) Ultraguard Oil Filter is the clear choice when performance matters.

ACDelco Quality
ACDelco breaks down their premium portfolio of Original Equipment and Aftermarket parts into two tiers: GM Original Equipment and ACDelco Gold.

GM ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT
GM Original Equipment parts are the true OE parts installed during production or validated by GM—designed, engineered, and tested to rigorous standards and backed by General Motors.

ACDELCO GOLD (PROFESSIONAL)
ACDelco Gold parts are the high-quality alternative to OE parts, manufactured to meet GM expectations for fit, form, and function and backed by General Motors.

Last edited:
Granted, I haven't changed my oil yet as my truck is still to new..but I didn't know they had two options. thanks for posting, going to research a bit on that larger one.

Granted, I haven't changed my oil yet as my truck is still to new..but I didn't know they had two options. thanks for posting, going to research a bit on that larger one.
I just emailed AC DELCO to confirm, I just checked my local parts store today and they say yes it's across to that filter too, I just want official confirmation. The filter about 2 times the cost, like $6.90(Part No. UPF66R) at Rock Auto online, vs ($3.86 for a PF66)

Yes. It's a few oz heavier and is black.

If'n your into oil by-passing luberfiners, here is one that I use...

Have used a similar kit on any other types of diesel? Does your oil really stay transparent color between oil changes? how long between changes?
how much is the replacement unit/filter when you change the oil? At the price point of kit, I could change my oil every 5000 miles to equal the cost of filters at $6.90 each and would have 400,000 miles on the truck, the rest of the truck worn beyond the worth of repair I think.
But if the oil remains transparent, that would be impressive for a diesel for sure.

Filters are $31 and change. Plan on doing oil analysis at 25k. Hoping to do oil changes at 50k or 1000hrs. I dropped the factory oil at around 1k. It was black. Stick is as clean as when I put the oil in with 10460 miles now.

Don't you need to add the oil cost into your 400k scenario?

I don't use luberfiners on the farm equipment, run them on 200 hr changes or yearly. On the CAT's, I pull a sample. Trucks have luberfiners on them and run them to 12k miles, but they pull constantly, like farm equipment.

This little duramax doesn't get the snot pulled out of it 95% of the time.

Wow, that is impressive, But even if I got one I don't think I could let the oil go for 50/25000 miles, I still would change it mayn=be 10/15000? just me,
I will need to do some more investigation on this unit
Thanks for the info

Filters are $31 and change. Plan on doing oil analysis at 25k. Hoping to do oil changes at 50k or 1000hrs. I dropped the factory oil at around 1k. It was black. Stick is as clean as when I put the oil in with 10460 miles now.

Don't you need to add the oil cost into your 400k scenario?

I don't use luberfiners on the farm equipment, run them on 200 hr changes or yearly. On the CAT's, I pull a sample. Trucks have luberfiners on them and run them to 12k miles, but they pull constantly, like farm equipment.

This little duramax doesn't get the snot pulled out of it 95% of the time.
I’ve been super busy and logged out for a few weeks .but that’s awesome your bypass filter is cleaning so well. Being that we have the low pressure EGR it must not bring to much soot back into the oil if your keeping up on it. That makes me want to get one.. pull a UOA out already so we can see how it’s holding up.
I assume you just have the acdelco oil? I just switched to xe2

Reference Number: GCUS-9-11766

PF66 (GM #55495105) Oil Filter Shortage and Replacement Parts Effective 8/20/2021

Due to increase in demand in the past 6 months, the PF66 oil filter (GM# 55495105) is currently backordered.

In the immediate interim, GM Engineering has recommended the ACDelco UPF66R as the preferred approved filter.

While not equivalent with the OE filter, considering the potential impact on GM vehicle owner satisfaction, we are allowing the usage of the following aftermarket filters for a limited time until a solution is identified. Additional bulletins will be distributed advising of sufficient PF66 availability and ending the competitive aftermarket filter warranty. We will also continue to warranty the engines (subject to remaining warranty) that receive one of the following aftermarket filters:

• Mighty – M9510
  • Valvoline – VO202
  • Parts Master – WL610351
  • Luber-finer – PH10066
  • Champ – PH10066
  • Wix – WL10351
  • NapaGold – 100351
  • PurolatorTech – TL11241
  • Purolator – L11424

Effective Date

8/20/2021

Additional information

An application guide for the PF66 oil filter has been attached.

This message link is only valid through the expiry date.
Expires:Aug 20, 2022 23:00 ET

Crazy? Is there really that much of a demand? even the Napa Gold sold out by me!

So you have this installed on your rig? How many miles have you put on the bypass filter setup? Any pics of the install? Tx

Interesting, I will have to look into the ultra version. I had to buy a standard one today $10.99 at O'Reilly. Just got back from driving to Carlsbad and the Grand Canyon from Houston (averaged 43 mpg for 50 miles) and need one done tomorrow. I understand that there are three filters:
ACDelco Gold (standard)
ACDelco Gold E (formerly Professional, you can read about the changes, marked with E at end PF66E)
ACDelco Gold Ultraguard (UPF66) $13.99 at O'Reilly's but special order

Anyone know if AC Delco just makes a longer version, PF2232? I know in my second car (1980 Pontiac Phoenix 2.5L), the standard filter was a PF47, but my dad had found using a PF52 (originally was a pf51?) was better (same filter but longer). My 1992 Olds Cutlass Supreme S used the PF52, but the 94 I had recommended the 47. Hence my thought of a longer oil filter, does anyone know if the PF2232 the same filter only longer, the are the same price at most stores?

Back