3.0 noises after shut down.

Welcome! I've not noticed that, but I asked a buddy with a white 3.0L RST and he told me it done it one time, but he doesn't recall it doing it often or even after that.. but he did say, "Maybe I got use to it".

Welcome! I've not noticed that, but I asked a buddy with a white 3.0L RST and he told me it done it one time, but he doesn't recall it doing it often or even after that.. but he did say, "Maybe I got use to it".
Thanks....mine does it every time the engine in warm. This my first diesel, but I was shocked GM would put this out on the market. It is noticeable loud and turns heads in every parking lot.

Thanks....mine does it every time the engine in warm. This my first diesel, but I was shocked GM would put this out on the market. It is noticeable loud and turns heads in every parking lot.
I am shocked this isn't everywhere on the internet. I tried to do my research before purchasing this truck and did not see anything about this. I do like everything else about the engine/truck, but this is a huge disappointment!

Noises after shut down. Is this really normal?
Guys the 3.0 has a variable geometry turbo that means the vanes in the turbo change during different loads and power requirements it’s the nature of the beast the main reason it does that is so the turbo knows the actuator is working for one and the other is that it knows what position it’s it for the restart

Is it really that big of a deal it’s not like it sounds like a jackhammer it keeps actuator happy and the vanes free on your very expensive turbo. Buy a Ford and it will be broken most of the time and it’ll be quiet though 😉

The dealer told me was bleeding high fuel pressure from the rail, 36000psi they bleed some off on shutdown he told me? You can hear it click and cycle on and off on shutdown

The dealer told me was bleeding high fuel pressure from the rail, 36000psi they bleed some off on shutdown he told me? You can hear it click and cycle on and off on shutdown

Good info, mine does this as well.

I don't know if it makes any noise, but they are also pumping the def back into the tank to keep from freezing. I would think they would had engineered some temp sensor above 70° so it wouldn't, but maybe they just made it easy on them, and let it run no matter what on shut down.

I don't know if it makes any noise, but they are also pumping the def back into the tank to keep from freezing. I would think they would had engineered some temp sensor above 70° so it wouldn't, but maybe they just made it easy on them, and let it run no matter what on shut down.
Open the hood guys watch the arm on the turbocharger for crying out loud it cycles back and forth these other things may also be going on but is it really that big of a deal ?? Lots of other vehicles make some noises on shutdown.

Yes, you're correct. arm moves and I also hear solenoid actuating, As you said its common on a lot of cars and trucks

I agree. I don't notice the actuator noise any more. I do hear the running board extending still when I open the door.

It's like your brain realizes that it's ok for the actuator to make a noise, when you lift the hood and watch it work, and say, "Hey, that there is cool, shouldn't ever lock up from not moving." Your brain just tones it out.

Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, I need to go watch it, cause I haven't heard it all month.

The actuator on the turbo is getting pretty squeaky after shutoff. I’ve tried spraying a tiny bit of wd40 on it but anyone else have this problem.

Back