Best All-Around Tonneau cover 2021 Chevy Silverado

rbdjr

Jun 23, 2021
Any suggestions or recommendations for a quality tonneau cover, security, weather, longevity, also look for a way to mount the kayak on top or with a bed rail bar and a hitch mount carrier.

I have the Extang Solid Fold 2.0. It's OK, heavy to fold over, does interfere with dropping the tailgate by itself but will drop when assisted by hand. My biggest gripe is that the third panel doesn't fold if you need the full bed uncovered. Not difficult to remove but still a PITA.

I got it used on a good deal but if I had to get another one, I'd probably go with a full folding Bakflip.

I have the dealer version of the BAK revolver X2 which is an aluminum roll up cover. So far I like it but it does have some trade offs.
Pros
Security of a locking aluminum cover but still rolls up vs folding
Sits very flush, does not stick up at all
Looks great
Cons
Stiff to roll up in winter
It rolls into a larger coil then a regular roll up cover but can still see out the rear window vs not being able to see on a fold up
About twice the price of a regular roll up cover
Some have complained about the fabric that connects the aluminum slats coming loose. So far mine hasn't but only had it about 6 months now

So far I really like it even with with cons. Tailgate does stick and won't drop on it's own but if the cover was adjusted up a little more it probably wouldn't but then may not seal as well. Probably the case on most covers. Previous truck had the regular Truxedo roll up and thought it was good. Wanted the extra security and strength when snow piles on it so tried this one this time. Time will tell on durability.

I have the Extang Solid Fold 2.0. It's OK, heavy to fold over, does interfere with dropping the tailgate by itself but will drop when assisted by hand. My biggest gripe is that the third panel doesn't fold if you need the full bed uncovered. Not difficult to remove but still a PITA.

I got it used on a good deal but if I had to get another one, I'd probably go with a full folding Bakflip.
I agree with Mooseman I have a fold up hard cover and I like everything about it except that the last panel doesn’t fold up against the back window, mine doesn’t interfere with the tailgate and the panels aren’t heavy to fold.

Attachments

• A1123791-45FC-44CA-AC24-BF84B293107F.jpeg
    A1123791-45FC-44CA-AC24-BF84B293107F.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 6
Shopping for a tonneau cover for my 2021 RST4x4 crew. zoomed in on 2 now, Baxflip MX4 4panel, and Bax X4S roll up.
My question is since I have the short bed Crew cab, 5'8" bed will the cover support my Sportsman 120 Kayak, along with a hitch mount "T" bracket so the back of my 12' kayak can rest on the "T" bracket from the hitch and front of Kayak sits on top of the Conneau cover? Kayak total weight approx 130 pounds loaded, 12ft long. And will the bottom of Kayak scratch and mar up the tonneau cover?

Shopping for a tonneau cover for my 2021 RST4x4 crew. zoomed in on 2 now, Baxflip MX4 4panel, and Bax X4S roll up.
My question is since I have the short bed Crew cab, 5'8" bed will the cover support my Sportsman 120 Kayak, along with a hitch mount "T" bracket so the back of my 12' kayak can rest on the "T" bracket from the hitch and front of Kayak sits on top of the Conneau cover? Kayak total weight approx 130 pounds loaded, 12ft long. And will the bottom of Kayak scratch and mar up the tonneau cover?
I believe it would support it but mine is painted aluminum so I’m sure it would scratch it up but a guy could put some kind of a stick on pad down where the kayak sits…. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes was thinking about a pool float, sit the kayak on that on top of the cover. What Brand cover do you have and are you happy with it?

I have the Retraxx. It’s had a few different names over the years. Takes up a fair bit of room in front of the box but looks good. I’ve had these on all my trucks back to my ‘98 6.5. Need to keep the little bearings lubed up or they’ll seize. Overall though they have been a good product, it’s the first thing I’ve added to my trucks.

Attachments

• CC5F9BDF-FCA8-4324-9719-C40D747A5C08.jpeg
    CC5F9BDF-FCA8-4324-9719-C40D747A5C08.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yes was thinking about a pool float, sit the kayak on that on top of the cover. What Brand cover do you have and are you happy with it?
I couldn’t find the brand on mine. I like it but I wish the last panel also folded up against the back window like the backflip ones to give you the full box open, this would be a requirement if I was shopping for one. My truck came with this cover.

I have the Retraxx. It’s had a few different names over the years. Takes up a fair bit of room in front of the box but looks good. I’ve had these on all my trucks back to my ‘98 6.5. Need to keep the little bearings lubed up or they’ll seize. Overall though they have been a good product, it’s the first thing I’ve added to my trucks.
I’ve always liked these retractable covers other than the space they take up in the box but they are the most secure and look the best in my opinion.

I’m thinking I’m going to go with the Peragon cover. Anyone have any past experience with that brand?

I went with a Truxedo Sentry CT that I have yet to install. I liked the fact that it could be rolled up to expose pretty much 95% of the bed and can be completely removed easily in about 5 seconds if need be. Also doesn’t block your rear view mirror like some of the solid covers that do fold up behind the cab. I also liked the fact that it was a 1 piece look, not really a fan of the seams. It has the aluminum slats like the Revolver but I saw some reviews about the revolver not rolling up at -15*C which is potentially an issue for me in the winter with where I live.
Probably not quite as secure are the solid folding... but... if a scum bag really wants into your vehicle they don’t care how much damage they cause. A big pry bar jammed in the back between the tailgate and the cover, pry and and POP! Things damaged/broken and the POS is in your vehicle...

Last edited:
Yes your are 100% correct on theft. locks and features on trucks and covers only keep honest people honest.
I ended up ordering the BAK FLIP F1, funny thing is I'm waiting for FedX to deliver today any minute, I would like to get it installed today, I also installed a 1 piece BedRug carpet LTx and to swing boxes left and right.
Bought all from an online place called Tonneauedcover.com no tax, free ship, best price I could find anyplace. I also learned that the same company makes Bak, Undercover, and 2 others forget now, that one company has the market cornered.

A
Yes your are 100% correct on theft. locks and features on trucks and covers only keep honest people honest.
I ended up ordering the BAK FLIP F1, funny thing is I'm waiting for FedX to deliver today any minute, I would like to get it installed today, I also installed a 1 piece BedRug carpet LTx and to swing boxes left and right.
Bought all from an online place called Tonneauedcover.com no tax, free ship, best price I could find anyplace. I also learned that the same company makes Bak, Undercover, and 2 others forget now, that one company has the market cornered.
sounds like a really nice set up. Would you mind posting some pictures once installed? I’ve been thinking about the bed rug and swing boxes as well.

( tonneaucovered.com ) They sell many different brands, worth an internet chat or I prefer a phone call. Ask for Shaun he is great to deal with and very knowledgeable.

I have the dealer version of the BAK revolver X2 which is an aluminum roll up cover. So far I like it but it does have some trade offs.
Pros
Security of a locking aluminum cover but still rolls up vs folding
Sits very flush, does not stick up at all
Looks great
Cons
Stiff to roll up in winter
It rolls into a larger coil then a regular roll up cover but can still see out the rear window vs not being able to see on a fold up
About twice the price of a regular roll up cover
Some have complained about the fabric that connects the aluminum slats coming loose. So far mine hasn't but only had it about 6 months now

So far I really like it even with with cons. Tailgate does stick and won't drop on it's own but if the cover was adjusted up a little more it probably wouldn't but then may not seal as well. Probably the case on most covers. Previous truck had the regular Truxedo roll up and thought it was good. Wanted the extra security and strength when snow piles on it so tried this one this time. Time will tell on durability.
I have the same BAK revolver X2 cover. I really like it, and I don't have the "winter" issue as I live in Florida. The additional Pro I would add is that it rolls up into a smaller size than the fold up covers do, which leaves more of the bed open when you need as much of it uncovered as possible.

Back