BREAKING: New LZ0 Duramax Engine for 2023 GM Trucks

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2018
The new LZ0 engine slated for use in the 2023 Chevy Silverado Duramax will carry similar specs as the LM2 turbodiesel in use with the current Silverado 1500, with turbocharged aspiration, 3.0 liters of displacement, and an inline-six cylinder arrangement. That said, the LZ0 could be considered the “second iteration” of the automaker’s Duramax 3.0L six-cylinder, with the LM2 being the first.

It’s unclear at this time exactly what the LZ0 will improve upon as compared to the current LM2 engine, but we can expect things like improved fuel economy, lower emissions, or an increase in output and capacities.

Source: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/04/2023-chevy-silverado-duramax-diesel-to-get-new-lz0-engine/

Big news! I wonder what are the biggest changes ? We basically had two model years of the LM2..

Last edited:
Sure hope so. That's always been a sore spot and they know it. If that's all they change, they could have kept the same designation.

Maybe the LZ0 is the version that is so efficient it doesn’t need DEF…. Glad they can design a new engine but struggle to optimize their DEF system from tank to “indicator.” Just poking… I am still happy with my LM2.

I have questions... 1) are they pulling the plug for the diesel on the SUV's for 2023, or just keeping the LM2.. then I was thinking, why would they keep both the LM2 and LZ0 in production?

Something seems weird... Is GM fixing to make a electric Tahoe?

Could just be a delayed release, just like the SUVs didn't get the LM2 until a year later than the pickups.

No DEF, now that would be a dream!

Can you say "plummeting sales"? GM doesn't have a stellar record on DOD/AFM and they want to try it out on diesel? No thanks. Exception to that would be if they find another method than the gawd-awful deactivating lifters but then they'll screw that up too.

They've got something good going with this engine. Don't screw it up! Fix the bo-bo's first.

Sounds like a lot of speculation and guessing. With that said, if what they are saying is true and the deactivation does get implemented I’m glad I have the LM2 (at least I think)... Jury is still out for long term durability/reliability of these engines.

No specs on horsepower or torque, however there is a different transmission specifically for the new LZ0 diesel.

Attachments

• 2023 GMC 1500 Sierra Order Info.pdf
    110.1 KB · Views: 16
Is the MQC the "new" tranny? Seems to be an electronic switch shifter instead of the MQB column shifter. Both seem to be the same 10L90 basic tranny with different controllers.

Is the MQC the "new" tranny? Seems to be an electronic switch shifter instead of the MQB column shifter. Both seem to be the same 10L90 basic tranny with different controllers.
I agree they both seem to be the same, however the MHT and MHS are also 10 speed electronic controlled and not designated for the LZ0 . So it appears there is a difference between the 10 speed electronic controlled transmissions when you order either the diesel option or gasoline engines.

Sure hope so. That's always been a sore spot and they know it. If that's all they change, they could have kept the same designation.
From Pickup Truck + Suv talk, the chief engineer for the design of the LM2 diesel talks about that they are looking into extending the life of the belt.. It's about 5.00 minutes into the video he starts talking about the belt issue and at seven minutes he talks about that their program team is looking into what can be done to extend the life of the belt or something else. This leads me to believe there will be a change with either extending the life of the belt or possibly doing away with the belt and replacing with something else with the upcoming LZ0.

So still with a belt but increasing its replacement interval to 15 years/200k miles is great. Does this mean our current LM2 belts will last just as long? Also weird on the lower capacity cooling system. I know mine doesn't move from 100c when I'm towing even in 30c+ temps.

I was wondering the exact same thing. Did they actually change the belt/material or just move the service interval to 200K miles or 15 years and would our LM2’s be good for it too?

Back