Cooling fan/engine block heater issue

ACP

Feb 11, 2021
Hey guys, thought I would post an issue I ran into with using the engine block heater with my 2020. Since it's been so cold lately, I thought I would use the engine blocker heater to help with the morning starts. I know the manual said it's not needed until 0F but figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it on being close to that temp here. Started the truck and noticed the cooling fans kicked into high, which was obviously odd with the engine still being cold. Drove it to work with the fans spinning on high the whole time which made me quite worried. Did some research and found there is a known issue with using the block heater above 0F and the link recommended to not use the block heater until -13F or so. Next time I'm into the dealer I'm going to check if there an update available for this yet.

Here is a link to the issue I ran into: https://gm-techlink.com/?p=12389

That article is kinda old. Been some owners trouble shooting this issue. Most complaints is having it plugged in and using remote start.

When it happened to you, did you use remote start?

That article is kinda old. Been some owners trouble shooting this issue. Most complaints is having it plugged in and using remote start.

When it happened to you, did you use remote start?
No, the time it happened to me I did not use remote start.

Back