DEF, Platinum DEF?

rbdjr

Jun 23, 2021
Was buying DEF, The Walmart I went to was out of stock-NONE.
Went to Home Depot they had it, Blue DEF-$15, and also Platinum DEF- $21,
Is there a difference in Def Fluids? Worth the $ difference?
Also, this is 2nd time Walmart sold out, is DEF fluid becoming a shortage item like everything else?

I mean, DEF is DEF.. it's ISO certified. I don't see the need personally.

That's my thought too.

Apparently there is a shortage as the urea comes mostly from China. Same problem as chips.

I fill my DEF tank at a Blue diesel station and its $2.69 a gallon, if you are buying at Walmart or Lowes your over paying. $6 dollars a gallon at Walmart $7.6 at Lowes.

I yet have saw that near NJ , not sure if they are here? Blue diesel station and its $2.69 a gallon??

Have yet to see any of those here neither. Probably only available at large truck Cardlocks. If I do find one, I'd be refilling my 9L jugs. I can usually get it at Canadian Tire for $21CAD on sale. Princess Auto had a smoking deal at $12CAD but was sold out within one day.

BTW, that hose they include with those jugs is very handy with windshield washer fluid 😉

I buy my DEF at Rural King. Cheapest around here(Was $6.99 per 2.5 gal the last time I bought it). I’ve also filled at the pump too.

I bought diesel for $5.16 a gallon today at Buc-ee's. I also filled up from their DEF pump and it was $2.99/gal.

i think you are missing the boat sure Blue DEF exceeds every manufacture requirement but what about when there is a shortage and the only thing on the shelf is the fancy overpriced one. but i am sure that won't happen near you.

Couple of YouTube videos and articles about Platinum DEF causing trucks to throw codes. There is another video that discusses a stabilizer in platinum DEF. Not sure what that stabilizer is and what it does to stabilize urea in water.

Was buying DEF, The Walmart I went to was out of stock-NONE.
Went to Home Depot they had it, Blue DEF-$15, and also Platinum DEF- $21,
Is there a difference in Def Fluids? Worth the $ difference?
Also, this is 2nd time Walmart sold out, is DEF fluid becoming a shortage item like everything else?
I saw a YouTube video where the guy shows the DEF injector after using the platinum. He claims prior to using it there were white crystals forming around the end and now the injector stays clean.
Just reporting not making a claim.

Back