Duramax running temp.

gsmall

Apr 5, 2024
2020 3.0 duramax runs Hot. Temp gauge reads 210 to 235. Ran at 210 for first 65,000 miles and dealer doesn’t know what to do to fix it. Told me that’s the best they can do?

Are the louvers opening?

? Don’t have any idea. Truck spent 3 months at dealer. New radiator hose new egr valve new coolant control valve and then a new water pump. They gave up. Truck runs at 210 and above. Most of the time it’s at 230 or higher.

I have heard this before, but the guy lost his engine, towing. Dealer couldn't find the problem. I asked him if'n they looked at the damn louvers, to see if they opened.

He responded back a few days later that was the issue and couldn't believe they didn't check them, being at the dealer numerous times.

Sorry, that's what I call them. gm calls it the Active Areo Shutter Technology. They are in the OM...

Screenshot_20240406_100731_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

They are between the grill and radiator. They are black. They are plastic. They are a pain in the ass. They will malfunction.

It's hard with a denali. AT4 ans SLT, no problem.

This is the only air duck I see in front of truck. Can’t tell if it’s open or not.

Attachments

• IMG_3712.jpeg
    IMG_3712.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 1
I believe it a combination of things, temp and speed. But the ecm at the end of the day. There is a plastic motor mounted on the left radiator support, that opens and closes the louvers, sorry, shutters.

If'n you have something like the launch, it has the ability to command them open and closed...

20240406_103559.jpg

Look thru the grill, with hood closed.

These damn things. If the louvers are open you will see nice shiney bright aluminum fins of the radiator.

20240406_103853.jpg

2020 3.0 duramax runs Hot. Temp gauge reads 210 to 235. Ran at 210 for first 65,000 miles and dealer doesn’t know what to do to fix it. Told me that’s the best they can do?
Also, welcome!

I now see what you are talking about. I googled these shutters. I can definitely see why it would change engine temp. O boy more time at the dealer. Thanks.

I now see what you are talking about. I googled these shutters. I can definitely see why it would change engine temp. O boy more time at the dealer. Thanks.
Were they closed?

I don’t know. Can’t see in there. I looked them up on Google to see what you are talking about and I can see how it would make engine run hit. Getting ready to go look at truck and try to see them first hand. Thanks

Back