Engine shut down timer

gemarsh

Nebraska, where the Dusty Denali Diesel's roam.
Staff member
Nov 25, 2020
Have any of you LM2 owners left your truck run long enough idling, to have it it shut down? I have heard that the new trucks have some timer that shuts down engine. Like 20 minutes or so.

I have not. I have just read the 3.0 diesel supplement owners manual. There is a 1 line sentence stating the LM2 does not have this timer. I swear I have left it idling for over an hour. Have not timed it, but I will.

If this is true, it is great news for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210612-214137_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210612-214137_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 6
It has about a 20 min timer on remote starts. That’s longer than the 10 mins on the Colorado I had. Don’t know about regular starts.

It has about a 20 min timer on remote starts. That’s longer than the 10 mins on the Colorado I had. Don’t know about regular starts.
I keep the remote in the center console. Truck has only been locked when we went on vacation this spring. Other than that, the fob has been with the truck. With that typed, I haven't used the remote start. Correction, I did play with the onstart app, just to see if it would work.

I was happy to see the LM2 didn't have the normal start extended park timer on the 21's. Just like last Thursday, started truck around 7am and it ran till 5pm. I have to keep the dog cool! And me when I get back in.

I downloaded the '20s pdf version of the supplement manual, and in the same spot as the '21s version, it is void of that line...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210613-134520_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210613-134520_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 4
Glad the 2020s don’t have it but it is only an update away. Safety nazis trying to protect us from ourselves. Like the “press the brake pedal” to disengage the parking brake. Didn’t need that with the manual parking brake, why now? And the @$#% auto stop that can’t be fully disabled (although it is one of the functions that GM bypassed due to the chip shortage...go figure). Ok, off my rant.

Glad the 2020s don’t have it but it is only an update away. Safety nazis trying to protect us from ourselves. Like the “press the brake pedal” to disengage the parking brake. Didn’t need that with the manual parking brake, why now? And the @$#% auto stop that can’t be fully disabled (although it is one of the functions that GM bypassed due to the chip shortage...go figure). Ok, off my rant.

Yea I noticed some Tahoe/Yukon's didn't get Auto Start due to the chip shortage, to bad mine wasn't apart of that! I find myself pushing that disable button a lot. I hate the autostart/stop "feature".

Now I’m concerned as mine shut off a couple times idling…. I assumed it was just some new age tree hugger feature…. 🤔 now I wonder why it shut down! 😳

I think its around 10/15 mins and mine shut down any time I leave it sitting idling. I believe you are correct it's a bunny hugger feature.
Mine 2021 RST 3.0 4x4 crew and I moved my truck sat to shovel snow and after 10-15 mins it shut down by itself, not the first time it has happened.

I think its around 10/15 mins and mine shut down any time I leave it sitting idling. I believe you are correct it's a bunny hugger feature.
Mine 2021 RST 3.0 4x4 crew and I moved my truck sat to shovel snow and after 10-15 mins it shut down by itself, not the first time it has happened.
I wonder if there’s a solution for this. When it’s cold out like -30c I leave my truck running all day at work as I’m in and out all day.

I wonder if there’s a solution for this. When it’s cold out like -30c I leave my truck running all day at work as I’m in and out all day.

I read somewhere there is a flash the dealer can do to disable the auto shut off.. I need to try and find the TSB#.

Am I wrong as I thought I heard idling is bad for these now with all this emmisions crap on them? Thought I heard it starts to plug things up but could have misheard something. If it is true then that's probably why they put in the shut off.

Am I wrong as I thought I heard idling is bad for these now with all this emmisions crap on them? Thought I heard it starts to plug things up but could have misheard something. If it is true then that's probably why they put in the shut off.
That could be… Idling isn’t really good for any diesel without being able to idle it up. But when it’s cold out it’s a sacrifice I have to make for my work. The perfect solution for me would be a flash that turns off the auto shut down AND let’s me control the high idle. That’s a Cummins feature I miss for sure.

That could be… Idling isn’t really good for any diesel without being able to idle it up. But when it’s cold out it’s a sacrifice I have to make for my work. The perfect solution for me would be a flash that turns off the auto shut down AND let’s me control the high idle. That’s a Cummins feature I miss for sure.
You should have gotten the fullmax!

For some reason gm thinks the 6.6 is the only workhorse diesel they have in the stable. Granted, the 6.6 can have the pto option. I like the ability to have a diesel run, a high idle feature is a plus.

Old school diesels ran. Many Cats, once started, were never shut off. Except for major repairs. They stayed running for oil changes.

I can say, in my neighborhood, we will not shut diesels off till the work day is done. Be it semi's, combines, tractors, fuel price won't matter.

Back