I am impressed.

Bob

Jul 19, 2023
Today we carried my wife's tractor to the shop today. We loaded up her B2650 HSDC on our car trailer. This is about 4500 pounds. The truck pulled it like it was not even there. It is 125 mile round trip and the truck averaged 15.2 mpg.

Last edited:
Yep, they are impressive trucks. I still miss my 2500HD though... these swat pretty good with any decent size load.

I agree on the squat.
I ended up putting a set of bags on mine and it really makes the ride so much better when the RV is in tow.

Earlier this month we pulled our 28 ft Airstream which weighs 8200 pounds loaded to Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, Louisiana. We traveled across North Louisiana on I-20. The truck performed better than I ever hope for. The 2500 Duramax we traded in got 12.2 mpg and the little LZO got 15.6 mpg going and 15.0 coming home on the same route. Does the 1500 tow as good as the 2500 .....maybe not but it is very close. The main different I found the 2500 didn't need to shift on the small hills and 1500 did. The 1500 had no problems pulling or stopping the Airstream. If I was truck shopping now, would I buy another 2500? I don't think so there didn't seem to be that much difference. The 1500 with the LZO did a great job. Our weights for the truck are within GM's limits. I do have a Reese WD hitch. I made a test run locally and I needed to re-adjust the bar height. My trailer brake controller was set at 5.5. This is just my experience not an endorsement.

Attachments

• IMG_20230915_130645929.jpg
    IMG_20230915_130645929.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 4
Earlier this month we pulled our 28 ft Airstream which weighs 8200 pounds loaded to Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, Louisiana. We traveled across North Louisiana on I-20. The truck performed better than I ever hope for. The 2500 Duramax we traded in got 12.2 mpg and the little LZO got 15.6 mpg going and 15.0 coming home on the same route. Does the 1500 tow as good as the 2500 .....maybe not but it is very close. The main different I found the 2500 didn't need to shift on the small hills and 1500 did. The 1500 had no problems pulling or stopping the Airstream. If I was truck shopping now, would I buy another 2500? I don't think so there didn't seem to be that much difference. The 1500 with the LZO did a great job. Our weights for the truck are within GM's limits. I do have a Reese WD hitch. I made a test run locally and I needed to re-adjust the bar height. My trailer brake controller was set at 5.5. This is just my experience not an endorsement.
Went from South FL to Boston, Maine ,Niagara Falls NY, Berlin OH, Nashville TN, Crossville TN. I will say that the LZ0 tows great there were a few 8% grades and I was easily keeping 5 MPH below posted all the time. I'm truly impressed with how well the truck handles. I could not get the max tow package with my setup it was not offered as an option. So that being said 3:23 gear set but it still pulled without issue. I did install a set of airbags due to past towing experience. They just add an immense amount of stability and I also run and Anderson WDH.

Overall MPG and trip distance below.

1000001878.jpg

Back