Increased MPG?

gjb56

May 9, 2021
2021 4wd Sierra 1500 Denali. My daily commute has been averaging close to 25mpg. I now have around 16k miles and it seems like the last several fillups keep increasing. I am now averaging a little over 27mpg. I drive around 250mi/week. Definitely not complaining, just curious if this is normal or did I just get lucky. Quality of diesel? weather?

Weather and getting broke in.

Report back in the middle of January. 😪

My wife has the high score for the 25 mile average screen, this summer.

20220709_231552.jpg

The 400 mile range isn't nothing to sneeze at either, for a fullsize 4x4.

20220709_231623.jpg

You can see my average in my fuelly signature.. MPG depends on a lot.. if I stay in the "city" areas during the week I'll get down to 23 or so.. in the winter, warming up and letting it run will get me down to 20 or so.

My average is lower because I also tow with it a fair bit (fuelly in sig). Should almost have two fuelly accounts, one for towing and one not. Overall I'm still happy with what I get. My only beef is the higher cost of diesel which negates any MPG savings :mad:

Mooseman: Diesel in my neck of the woods (No. Nevada) has always been cheaper than gas. We just returned a few weeks ago from a 2700 mile trip pulling the trailer to Glacier NP. Imagine my surprise that ebverywhere we went, gas was considerably cheaper than diesel. Home now and diesel hese is still cheaper than gas. Go figure...

Noticed that when I was in Las Vegas. But holy hell both were expensive in Cali. Lowest I found for reg. was $4.85 and it was $2 more in LA. It used to be cheaper for us to buy gas in the US but, converted to L and CAD$, 4.85USD/gal comes to $1.75CAD/L. Right now, it's $1.50CAD/L. Converted, it's $4.18USD/gal.

Mooseman, not sure about your area, but a lot of stations in my area as of today are now up to $2.43/L for diesel!! Bloody insane! Has gone up 40 cents plus in just the last week! Luckily I can still find a couple stations that are $2-2.10/L, but they used to be $1.70 only a week or 2 ago…. Where will all this diesel pricing BS end??!

Literally just can’t win. I always said (like 10 years ago) if GM came out with a full sized 1500 truck that could get 30MPG I would get one. Well, they released a real winner, I bought one and then we get hosed/fleeced by the oil companies on the price of diesel. 😤

Ya, here it's $2.29/L. Wish there was a reserve close by where I could get cheaper fuel. Always try to seek those out when I'm travelling. If it weren't for the fact I'm still under warranty, I would used dyed fuel at $2.10/L. I have a station that sells it just 1 minute away.

Back