It took less than a week...

Ravenbrook

Apr 5, 2020
I was out working yesterday when all of a sudden my battery light came on, Charging system failure error message, and the truck was hitting 250 degrees. I stopped 3 different times to let the truck cool down on my way to the dealership 4 miles away. By the time I got there the brakes had totally failed, the power steering was dead and every dummy light in the truck was on. I had them give me a loaner vehicle and I left the truck there. I got a call about 45 minutes later telling me the serpentine belt broke, no more details than that so I'm not sure if it shredded or snapped or what. But without that the water pump and the alternator sure don't work. So they were not able to get one locally or from somewhere in North Carolina that they typically call, so they found one in Lansing, Michigan and will call to get it sent here on Monday. Hopefully they can get it next day aired, not sure if they can with everything going on these days. The loaner vehicle they game me is almost the same truck, but with the 5.3 in it so I can work with that for a few days. Hopefully this was just an anomaly and not a big issue with these trucks or with the belts. I only had this truck for 6 days when this happened and I had 359 miles on her when the belt broke.

Welcome!

I wonder if anymore damage can happen internally when that belt breaks?

One of my friends is a GM Diesel Mechanic. He said internally I should be fine. His main concern, because the dealership later told me that it was the belt tentioner that broke and shredded the belt, is for the bolt holes for the tentioner. But I don't think that was an issue as the dealership called me today and said it was ready to pick up. So she's in the driveway now. Temp stayed steady the ride home, about 7 miles. Hopefully whatever caused the belt or tentioner to go, was a fluke, and just a one time thing.

I sure hope so, I have a lot of hope for this platform for a good alternative half-ton diesel.

Back