LZ0 Duramax engine to be revealed on 8/16

The LZ0 has many upgrades and concerned my 2021 LM2 will have problems in the areas they addressed and improved upon with the LZ0.

The LZ0 has many upgrades and concerned my 2021 LM2 will have problems in the areas they addressed and improved upon with the LZ0.

Interesting - I thought the exact same thing - am interested to know why they went to a smaller steel piston and longer stroke - is there a long-term durability issue with the cast aluminum pistons? :unsure:

What are the real world numbers (ie: fuel economy) and feel of this LZ0? Some out there must have some results on these things by now. Inquiring minds want to know…

they went to forged steel because the upped the compression. 15.0 to 15.2

I get that, but I think about it this way - if you're building many thousands of engines and you want to change the compression ratio from 15.0 to 15.2 it can easily be done with a piston change, or possibly even just some different cylinder head machining parameters.

You don't change rod length and piston materials on many thousands of engines for shits and giggles.

It is very expensive to do, and is (usually) done for very specific engineering needs.

It may be related to an emissions issue, or possibly it was done to improve durability - I am a curious person - just wondering why the change.

I get that, but I think about it this way - if you're building many thousands of engines and you want to change the compression ratio from 15.0 to 15.2 it can easily be done with a piston change, or possibly even just some different cylinder head machining parameters.

You don't change rod length and piston materials on many thousands of engines for shits and giggles.

It is very expensive to do, and is (usually) done for very specific engineering needs.

It may be related to an emissions issue, or possibly it was done to improve durability - I am a curious person - just wondering why the change.
Yes and understand they also changed to a different injectors than what is on our LM2 engines.

Im wondering if it has anything to do with the oil consumption that is happening in these engines?

Im wondering if it has anything to do with the oil consumption that is happening in these engines?
Hmm.... interesting thought - maybe the oil consumption issue is related to the piston design.

For example, let's say the oil consumption was due to a ring sealing issue - the excess blowby generated would bleed into the EGR system, and coke up the EGR and turbo VGT components.

Are other guys with higher mileage LM2 engines having any issues with plugged up EGR's or VGT's ?

I haven't seen any issues posted, but I am also pretty new to the scene.

Back