LZO Regen tracking with Torque

wsybert

Oct 19, 2023
I was able to find some details here that allowed me to add a custom PID to the Torque Pro app, and see the entire regen. The PID was Soot %.
The value is 0-100 percent. I am running an OBDLink MX+ with Torque Pro for reference.

Once I got it set up, i was seeing about 85% Soot a couple days ago. Today while doing some interstate driving, I hit 100% about 5 min from my destination.
As soon as the soot value hit 100, I saw the EGT temps start to climb. It went from @ 650-700, to 1100-1200.
As I got to my destination, and was going slow through the parking lot, I could smell the hot exhaust and an odd odor. Not very strong, but noticeable.
I parked and tried to wait for the regen to finish. It appeared it stopped, as the EGT temps started dropping, but the Soot number was still at 100%.
I shut the truck down.
About 1 hour later I started the truck and drove around and the Soot was still at 100% and the EGT got back up to 1100-1200 degrees. So apparently, when I parked and idled, the regen stopped, but wasn't finished.
This regen lasted for about 15 min, then the soot value dropped to about 1% and the EGT temps dropped to normal ranges.
Now that I know this I will grab the data and plot it. Plus, I reset my trip meter to see how many miles until the next one.
Thought some might be interested in this, as the Torque Pro PID's I have found here don't all work with the LZO engine. I tried Regen distance and Regen state, and they did not work on my 2023. (I used this thread: https://gm1500diesel.com/forum/threads/engine-monitor.90/ ) The DPF Soot did work.

Yes, regen quits at an idle after so many seconds. Bumping the high idle "on" also won't allow it to continue.

I was able to find some details here that allowed me to add a custom PID to the Torque Pro app, and see the entire regen. The PID was Soot %.
The value is 0-100 percent. I am running an OBDLink MX+ with Torque Pro for reference.

Once I got it set up, i was seeing about 85% Soot a couple days ago. Today while doing some interstate driving, I hit 100% about 5 min from my destination.
As soon as the soot value hit 100, I saw the EGT temps start to climb. It went from @ 650-700, to 1100-1200.
As I got to my destination, and was going slow through the parking lot, I could smell the hot exhaust and an odd odor. Not very strong, but noticeable.
I parked and tried to wait for the regen to finish. It appeared it stopped, as the EGT temps started dropping, but the Soot number was still at 100%.
I shut the truck down.
About 1 hour later I started the truck and drove around and the Soot was still at 100% and the EGT got back up to 1100-1200 degrees. So apparently, when I parked and idled, the regen stopped, but wasn't finished.
This regen lasted for about 15 min, then the soot value dropped to about 1% and the EGT temps dropped to normal ranges.
Now that I know this I will grab the data and plot it. Plus, I reset my trip meter to see how many miles until the next one.
Thought some might be interested in this, as the Torque Pro PID's I have found here don't all work with the LZO engine. I tried Regen distance and Regen state, and they did not work on my 2023. (I used this thread: https://gm1500diesel.com/forum/threads/engine-monitor.90/ ) The DPF Soot did work.
What I noticed is, as soon as you put it into park my i-dash goes from "ACT" to "OFF" on regen status. If you sit in gear it will continue but I don't know how long that would hang on before it stopped the process,

Correct on killing regen when in park. Idling in gear will only try to maintain exhaust temps, will not actually perform anything for the "regen"

Back