Mileage with/without stop/start

Mooseman

Oct 19, 2021
Since my last tankful, I've been experimenting with stop/start to see if it really makes a difference in mileage. Only thing I do is disable it for stop signs and short stops. It's a lot of button pushing and remembering to do it. Was getting 24mpg with it disabled.

Has anyone else seen a difference with it on or off?? My guess is it will be so small, it really makes no difference. This is probably the most hated thing in this truck.

I Have approx 8600 miles on mine and around town during the week driving Im getting 24/27mpg, on a trip to Virginia and back from NJ I was able to get 34 mpg not going over 65 mph, and with light acceleration trying to get my best mpg during the trip. with Auto stop disabled and sport mode most of trip

I don't think you will see it. Unless you are a uber driver in ny city.

I thinks it would require a calculator that sees 20 decimal points. It might add up to something after you had a few hundred thousand vehicles produced running that damn idea, nationwide.

More fuel would be wasted, changing the fuel filter, than that thing will save a year for me.

I've got half and half city and highway living in a suburb. Yeah, my hopes aren't high at all for auto stop. Funny thing is sometimes when I do want it to stop the engine, it doesn't.

I leave mine on. I eventually got used to it and rarely notice it.

Round trip from Texas to Michigan I averaged 27.7 mpg at 80 mph. That was calculated by gallons used and miles driven. The truck instrument mpg read 24.5.

Well, since the cold weather has set in, even if I leave it on, the engine never stops. Well that half the year it won't even work so I don't know why they even bother to put it on Canadian trucks.

This seems very simple to me if the engine shuts down at long stop lights you could pick up as much as .000004 mpg for that you only have to replace the starter, solenoids, and belts three or four times as often. this is just like when Chevy invented the fiber optic distributor for the corvette 10K part should last for almost ever if you keep it dry where should we put it "under the water pump" genius. As far as leaving it off of Canadian models they only leave off things you want not things that cost them ten cents and they charge five hundred dollars. i would more expect them to make the plug in for the block an option "did you want the new universal plug adapter its now the only way to plug in to the wall and its only eight inches long and a mere two hundred dollars unless you live in Texas then we throw them in FREE". Canadian trucks will come with Free A/C boosters and a volume control for your exhaust not available in the USA.

More engine wear happens during a start cycle than any other time during normal driving, I prefer to leave it in off position, it's just common sense.
I can't wait to get the disabler soon, I can't stand it and the delay on take off is a safety problem IMO, not to mention more wear and tear on the truck. Especially if MPG isn't affected, absolutely useless

More engine wear happens during a start cycle than any other time during normal driving, I prefer to leave it in off position, it's just common sense.
That is true if the engine has been off for a substantial amount of time and the oil all drips back into the pan. I don't think oil has much time to drip down if the engine is off for 30 or so seconds at a time. All the internals are still pretty well coated. I'd be more worried about wear and tear on the starter. However, it can't be saving that much gas.

On a recent trip pulling a trailer, we stopped at a grocery store to get stuff for our next campground. It was hot and we travel with our cat, so I stayed in the truck with the engine running for the AC (engine stop is disabled while in tow haul mode) while my wife did the shopping. The current 25 mile average mpg was something like 14.5 mpg. As I sat there for 20 minutes, I watched as the average dropped 0.2 mpg. So, depending on the length of your commute and how much time you sit at signals or on a jammed freeway, the fuel saved by the engine stop may be significant. Also, I think starter technology has been improved for engines that utilize the engine stop feature (it’s not your granddaddy’s Buick).

I just tried to use it again and I can't really get it to stop the engine more regularly. Even with A/C off, not in tow/haul, not in regen and a seemingly charged battery, I can't get it to stop the engine. It did for a while and then, nothing. I can't be bothered with it anymore.

Another thing is what happens when the traffic light turns green you take your foot off the brake it tries to auto start but you get the 3 litre extended crank no start and the texting teenager behind you sees the lane beside him go and
gives your multipro a whole new way to fold! This is the dumbest feature I’ve ever seen, as far as I’m concerned it takes 2 buttons to start my truck the start one and the auto stop one.

Another thing is what happens when the traffic light turns green you take your foot off the brake it tries to auto start but you get the 3 litre extended crank no start and the texting teenager behind you sees the lane beside him go and
gives your multipro a whole new way to fold! This is the dumbest feature I’ve ever seen, as far as I’m concerned it takes 2 buttons to start my truck the start one and the auto stop one.

With the updated ECU programming, the CNS has been fixed so that shouldn't be an issue. When it did work for me, it started fairly quickly but was still annoying. Also would roll through stop signs just so it wouldn't stop the engine.

Only takes one button with the Autostop eliminator. Best money I’ve spent on the truck.
Yep, best damned $100USD I've ever spent.

With the updated ECU programming, the CNS has been fixed so that shouldn't be an issue. When it did work for me, it started fairly quickly but was still annoying. Also would roll through stop signs just so it wouldn't stop the engine.

Yep, best damned $100USD I've ever spent.
I thought it was significantly more than that for $100 I would agree it’s worth it

Back