Mystery Turbo Coolant Leak

calidawnm

Jan 3, 2024
Hey 👋🏻 everyone. I came here because I am at a loss with my truck and getting frustrated. I have a 2022 AT4 3.0l with 36,000 kms on it. This truck spends more time in the shop for “software updates” than it does in my driveway. Replaced cameras, computer modules, the main computer, and other stupid little things, along with a mystery “clunk” when accelerating from a complete stop that feels like drivetrain but dealer swears nothing is wrong even though they have felt the clunk.

Well now my check engine light keeps coming on. The dealer said (and I apologize for my ignorance with what exactly everything is called) they needed to replace some kind of temperature sensors for the air cooling system. They did that, got my truck back, drove for 10 minutes and light came back on. Truck seems to have a bit less power and a shudder around 70s/hr under light throttle. Took truck back to dealer, they found that my turbo coolant reservoir tank was empty. They filled it, drove it, it’s empty again. No sign of leaks anywhere! …I don’t understand this system at all so I can’t even begin to ponder wth is happening. Anyone want to buy a truck? This thing is ALWAYS is in the shop. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Any ideas what’s going on?

it's probably getting sucked through the turbo. Might need to find a different dealer. Mine is in the shop now for a leaking radiator on the same cooling system.

it's probably getting sucked through the turbo. Might need to find a different dealer. Mine is in the shop now for a leaking radiator on the same cooling system.
That’s what I figured was happening. Can it harm the turbo though? I wonder how long the reservoir was empty for? That’s frustrating that you’re dealing with issues as well.

if that is where the antifreeze is going your turbo needs to be replaced. The seal is leaking and the antifreeze is going through the bearing assembly washing the lube out of the bearings and dumping antifreeze into your intake and pistons. Check and see if your oil is milky colored if it is you might of damaged the engine bearings as well.

Funny, I asked the dealership if this could happy and they said no. Gosh, I wish I knew more so I could question them on what they tell me. 🤦🏻‍♀️

The antifreeze is going somewhere, intake or exhaust manifold or both. I don't know how the dealer can say it can't happen. Good luck

Probably not what you want to hear, but based on all the problems you said you have had you may want to possibly think about trading it in and getting a new/another one. It should NOT have all/this many problems…. Especially with only 36,000 kms on it. I just passed 38,000 kms on mine and have had zero issues/problems up to this point. 1 or 2 OK, but that list of yours is a lot! Just my $0.02

Last edited:
Hey idk if you figured anything out yet. But I had a similar issue last summer. Dealership ended up having my truck 4 different times. Had gm engineers involved. Turns out the fluid was leaking into the pump. And eventually making the pump fail. This is becoming a common thing with these trucks. Hope this helps.

Leaking into the charge cooler pump?
Yes. So originally I got a code for charged air coolant malfunction. Took it to dealership. They diagnosed and couldn’t find anything. Removed the code and I got the truck back within 3 hours the same day. Next day I went to put wiper fluid in and noticed the res was empty. Filled it and didn’t have a problem for about 7000 miles. Light came again. Res empty, took it to dealership. The only thing they could come up with was they thought the cap was leaking losing fluid out of the res. Changed the whole res. 2000 miles later same thing. When I contacted the dealership they said engineers contacted them and said there was a possibility that the fluid was going into the pump. They disassembled everything and I guess when they took it apart fluid started running out of places where there should be zero. Issued was fixed back in October November. Have put about 23000 on it since with zero issues.

Yes. So originally I got a code for charged air coolant malfunction. Took it to dealership. They diagnosed and couldn’t find anything. Removed the code and I got the truck back within 3 hours the same day. Next day I went to put wiper fluid in and noticed the res was empty. Filled it and didn’t have a problem for about 7000 miles. Light came again. Res empty, took it to dealership. The only thing they could come up with was they thought the cap was leaking losing fluid out of the res. Changed the whole res. 2000 miles later same thing. When I contacted the dealership they said engineers contacted them and said there was a possibility that the fluid was going into the pump. They disassembled everything and I guess when they took it apart fluid started running out of places where there should be zero. Issued was fixed back in October November. Have put about 23000 on it since with zero issues.
Thanks for posting the information!

Back