New 3.0L Duramax / LZ0 Announced for '23

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2018
The new GM turbocharged 3.0L I6 LZ0 diesel Duramax engine replaces the turbocharged 3.0L I6 LM2 diesel Duramax engine offered for the 2022 model year. The new engine is rated at 305 horsepower and 495 pound-feet of torque, a 10-percent increase in power and a 7.6-percent increase in torque compared to the 277 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque produced by the turbocharged 3.0L I6 LM2 diesel Duramax engine offered previously.

As for the hard bits, the new GM turbocharged 3.0L I6 LZ0 diesel Duramax engine features upgraded steel pistons and a revised combustion bowl, as well as a retuned turbocharger compressor, new fuel injectors, and improved temperature control as well.

305HP / 495TQ

I personally welcome more power! :cool:

So far they are still sticking to this for the trucks only, as it appears they are being very hush hush on keeping the Duramax as an option for the SUV's as reported here by GM Authority: Source

And here's an interview with the engineer explaining it as well as talking about what they learned from the LM2, including the crank no start issue and why it takes a little longer to start after the update.

Wonder if they are going to use as much oil as some of 3.0L do? then gm can tell you that's it normal,

Wish he had asked if the LM2 belt will go for 200k. Steel pistons now? Wondering if I should consider trading the 21 for a 23.

Well, once the LZ0 comes out, if it's the same part number, it likely will.

Good explanation of the crank no start. Had my third occurrence last week at 10500 miles. Still not sure it’s worth the reprogram yet.

Good explanation of the crank no start. Had my third occurrence last week at 10500 miles. Still not sure it’s worth the reprogram yet.

I think it is.. the pure embarrassment of someone looking at your truck setting there not starting was enough for me! :D

I did the software patch, not the crank sensor.

Back