NEW OWNER

Dan Forker

Jul 23, 2020
I took delivery on my 2020 Silverado 3.0 diesel just seven days ago. Less than 1000 miles on it and loving the truck. I ordered a LTZ model, with the Z71 package also. Prior the that I had a 2016 Chevrolet Colorado with the 2.8 diesel and liked that truck also but it was nearing 100,000 miles and I wanted more creature comforts and more room. Before the Colorado, I had a 2007 gas Silverado and it obtained terrible mileage but was a great driver. So far the Silverado 3.0 has exceeded my expectations in all ways except fuel mileage. I am averaging about 21 miles per gallon in mixed highway and town diving but mostly highway miles while driving the speed limit + 9 on the highway. It seem unusual but mileage improves by 2+ miles per gallon if I select sport mode over standard. Today, I stopped by the dealer because the XM radio would sometimes fail to connect and they did an update to the radio. They said that they only updated the radio but I immediately noticed that the truck drove differently also and shifted more aggressively so I don't know what that is all about. Anyway, I am glad to be a part of this forum and hope that posting picks up as more of us own the 3.0.

My truck is a 2wd LTZ crew cab. Have 11,000 miles. Truck has been flawless except for several recalls that were handled quickly by the dealership. Getting the posted mileage requires a light pedal, and doing the speed limit not the speed limit +9. I love this truck! Very pleased!

Welcome to the forum! I myself currently have a 2017 Colorado with the 2.8L.. I'm looking at a new 3.0 when inventory gets stocked back up soon.

On a shorter road trip, 150 miles round trip, I averaged 30.6, that’s my best so far. But I had to stay at 68-70 to keep the RPMs down. I have not even pulled a trailer yet but really interested to see if the gas mileage is any better than my ‘18 Traverse with my boat

If you go over 70 how hard are your MPG's taking a hit?

On a shorter road trip, 150 miles round trip, I averaged 30.6, that’s my best so far. But I had to stay at 68-70 to keep the RPMs down. I have not even pulled a trailer yet but really interested to see if the gas mileage is any better than my ‘18 Traverse with my boat
Great truck great Milage.2020 Gmc 1500 duramax it tows Great, truck is always in the right gear with its 10 spd trans instant torque.towing a 24ft enclosed car trailer about 7.5k lbs no problems the only complaint have is that during towing it uses a lot of DEF a lot more than any of my track friends diesel trucks ,I use a box of DEF for about 750 miles.does anyone else have the same results?

Great truck great Milage.2020 Gmc 1500 duramax it tows Great, truck is always in the right gear with its 10 spd trans instant torque.towing a 24ft enclosed car trailer about 7.5k lbs no problems the only complaint have is that during towing it uses a lot of DEF a lot more than any of my track friends diesel trucks ,I use a box of DEF for about 750 miles.does anyone else have the same results?
I have only towed my boat once so far. (150 miles). But I have 2200 miles and only two of the bars on my DEF gauge have gone away. So 2/3-3/4 left, according to the gauge. My question is how trustworthy is that gauge? This is my first diesel. Should I wait until the gauge drops halfway and add a box or should I be topping off more frequently?

I have only towed my boat once so far. (150 miles). But I have 2200 miles and only two of the bars on my DEF gauge have gone away. So 2/3-3/4 left, according to the gauge. My question is how trustworthy is that gauge? This is my first diesel. Should I wait until the gauge drops halfway and add a box or should I be topping off more frequently?

I always top off when def light goes to 1/4 tank. That usually gives me a enough time to get a jug and top it off.

I average somewhere between 13-14mpg towing 4-5klb boat, depending on load. When towing, I'm usually +/- 5mph over speed limit. I too consume a lot of DEF. On an 1,100 mile round trip, I left with full DEF reading, added a jug once there and another once back.

Back