New to forum…21 Sierra, Coolant Control Valve P1098 fixed

flyfisherholms

Mar 10, 2024
Hello folks,

I successfully repaired my coolant control valve at home, no dealer fees, or WAITING for spare parts required…My 21 Sierra started throwing the P1098 code at 63k miles and blasting fans at 100% power. For a while I could restart the engine and it would go away, eventually that stopped working. I learned it was the coolant control valve that was having problems (24001355) and it is on a 5+ month back order. I decided to try repairing it on my own while I waited for parts…It was a 7 hour job to remove, clean, lubricate the valve and its components. It ended up being one of the motor gear boxes that was all gummed up and causing the issue. It was the one with metal clips not screws. I cleaned the old grease on the worm gears and refreshed with new white lithium grease. I did it all in my The garage without a lift on a jack stand. Hit me up if you want to give it a go and I’ll leave more detailed instructions.

Attachments

• F4477D3A-B847-4FD4-9FBF-8C9D382F92EC.jpeg
    F4477D3A-B847-4FD4-9FBF-8C9D382F92EC.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 9
Haven't put my eyes on this part. Would it have been possible to repair on the truck?

If you mean fix without pulling the whole valve assembly out, no. The motor box in question rides the top of the valve and would be impossible to get to without removing the whole thing.

I hope they improve this valve as so many have an issue. I am still waiting for my part to come but if I need to replace it every 3 years or 70k that is BS.

I hope they improve this valve as so many have an issue. I am still waiting for my part to come but if I need to replace it every 3 years or 70k that is BS.
I think they didn’t test their new fancy valve enough before it was released. Way too complicated for what it needs to do.

Truly impressive that you were able to do this! I'd love to hear more details, just in case.

Back