OIL Analysis

rbdjr

Jun 23, 2021
Just ordered 2 oil analysis sample kits. Been running DexosD GM oil 0W-20, gonna send a sample at the end of this week when I change it, should have approx 10,000 miles will be my 3rd oil change is a bit premature for sure but the first one I did at 1000 miles. So I will take a sample and send it out for analysis, also been using AC DELCO GOLD UPF66R ENGINE OIL filter
Then I will switch to the WIX WL10351, Its supposedly has 5 smaller micron rating approx, I also will switch to AMSOIL
Synthetic Diesel Oil SAE 0W-20
and then send it out for another sample and see if any changes?
More to come with results

I did one about 6k miles ago with ac delco and PPE 1140000650 filter. Truck will be getting amsoil within the next two weeks and I’ll get a sample of it too. Trying to find that wix filter has been a problem so might go back with another ac delco.
465E3471-CD62-47F6-9D2B-0E8E187E13AB.jpeg

Nice! now I wish I understood more about the topics and numbers, Did you have to tell them what kinda oil? I purchased through Amsoil, just wonder if they could determine which oil is which? Since I bought the kit at Amsoil I don't want to tell them what brand oil it is? wonder if I can leave that blank?

I’m sure you can leave that blank but I bet if amsoil is doing the testing that they will figure out it is their own oil. In my Cummins I always looked at the silicon count and 24 would have been high enough for them to say I need to check my air filter. They didnt bring the silicon up this time though, which was weird.

I bought 2 kits, 1 for the DexosD oil and another kit for the Amsoil oil, gonna do both to see if any difference from one to the other both will be approx 5,000 intervals on change.

11/15/21- This is my first Oil Sample taken at 9,000 miles at 2nd oil change using Dexos D for the first 2 changes, then switched to Amsoil and will do another sample 16k about 1k away to see if anything different between DexosD 0w-20 and Amsoil Signature 0w-20, it will be 2nd drain of Amsoil when I send the latest sample.
I was a bit concerned with higher iron #s, but everyone I see posted has a higher Iron #?

Attachments

• 2021 3.0 chevy oil 1rst..pdf
    166.5 KB · Views: 11
I am a bit confused, apparently there are two different AC Delco synthetic 0w-20s, one that is good for Dexos and the other DexosD. Evidently both are made by Mobil 1, but I cannot seem to find the ESP X2 oil in anything but quarts locally, but I find a lot of AFE 0w-20 Dexos1, Gen 2.
I see lots of recommendations but not really a why. Is it the phosphors in the regular synthetic? How much does that really interfere with the DPF? It seems to be twice as much or more, and I cannot find a decent quantity not in quarts.

I missed this last message as I was travelling with the truck and RV trailer.

AFAIK, nobody has done an analysis of unused DexosD to compare to the regular Dexos oil so we don't know what's really different about it. It could be an additive for the turbo or some other piece of hardware in this complicated piece of technology. Could also be a specific additive for the oil bathed oil pump belt. Who knows. I doubt it's anything to do with the DPF because it just burns off the soot as it gets full.

The manual specifies that the oil must meet the DexosD specification. That is their out if the engine were to develop an issue and the oil used didn't meet the spec.

I just did my oil change with ACDelco 0w20 DexosD and PF66 filter at 40% OLM left. I think the dealer screwed up on my last free oil change because I found the engine was getting noisier and now it's back to its quiet self. Maybe it's a placebo or new oil effect but I just find it's quieter in the valvetrain.

Last edited:
Back